Talk

Advanced search

Relocation - school or house as priority

(7 Posts)
Zeeky Tue 19-Jul-11 17:28:44

Looks like we're going to have to relocate due to DH's job. DS1 due to start school in September. We would really like to take this opportunity to upsize our house & buy our "dream" home.

My dilemma is whether we should find a good school for DS first & then try to find a house near the school, or look for our dream house first & then find a school near that?

Obviously finding a good school where DS will be happy is a major priority but what if we then can't find a house we like? And don't schools admissions need you to have a local address before giving a school place?

WWYD?

mummytime Tue 19-Jul-11 17:58:31

How old is DS? I would always look for a school, and then look to buy (and be prepared to rent) in the catchment.

Zeeky Tue 19-Jul-11 19:22:33

DS will be 4 in August & starts in reception in September.

Has anyone used a relocation agent for help with finding schools & house search? I expect they are vastly expensive sad

Fuzzled Tue 19-Jul-11 20:49:52

Apply to Phil & Kirsty?!

nancy75 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:51:43

It depends what area you are moving to, if it is in or near london find a school and buy a house as close to it as you can

LIZS Tue 19-Jul-11 20:53:29

Very unlikely you'll get a place at an oversubscribed school for September now, and no you canlt even apply until in situ. Friend moved from abroad and used a relocation agent for house/school search . It was a few £100 but took most of the intiial legwork out of it.

Zeeky Tue 19-Jul-11 21:46:04

We're moving to Northamptonshire. Most likely to one of the villages on the outskirts of Northampton.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now