Talk

Advanced search

Nit virgin, confused and need your help!

(12 Posts)
VinoEsmeralda Tue 19-Jul-11 14:56:09

last night checked DD's head as she was itching a lot and her hair was riddled with the little buggers!

I combed her hair with conditioner and took out over 60 of them. Did the same this morning ( she went to bed with the conditioner in) after she had a shower and about ten more.

I will keep doing this till she is nit/egg free which approx is 2 weeks ( so I have been told)

BUT

Everybody seem to have their own theory about what is best. Most say treat with the chemicals but some say they wont work and the conditioner way is by far more effective and cheaper......

Wise Mumsnetters please tell me what you do if your kids have nits!

Ohforfoxsake Tue 19-Jul-11 15:03:13

I just use tea-tree conditioner (Alberto Balsam is about £1.30) and a Nittygritty comb when there's an infestation.

I've also started to use Vosene shampoo and spray once a week - its meant to repel the buggers. I don't know if it does, but we haven't had them in ages.

What's the betting I've just jinxed myself?!

TeriHatchetJob Tue 19-Jul-11 15:05:32

keep doing what you're doing - for about 2 weeks. Make sure you use one of the special combs that has 2 lines of teeth to catch the little critters in. One day you will come and there will be no nits....................til the next time........

VinoEsmeralda Tue 19-Jul-11 15:08:39

lol, thank you both. Have a single nit comb so will go and get a double teethed one.

Have the Vosene shampoo as well and spray her hair ( from now one every day!!) with a tea tree solution.

ceebeegeebies Tue 19-Jul-11 15:12:15

My DC have had them once so far and DS1, in particular, had hundreds of them. It took the Nitty Gritty comb to get rid of them all eventually (there were some very stubborn ones!!).

That was in April and I went out and bought the Vosene shampoo and spray in conditioner - they only get their hair washed with the shampoo now and I use the spray to flatten their hair down (both my DC have 'wild' hair) in the mornings - neither have had them since (although I appreciate it has only been 3 months wink)

neverontime Tue 19-Jul-11 15:21:11

is tea tree conditioner the best to use if my dc get nits? or should i say when

Ohforfoxsake Tue 19-Jul-11 16:38:27

It's as good as any of the potions specifically for headlice IMO. It's the Nitty Gritty which is essential. make sure you tell the teacher too, so they are aware there's an outbreak.

startail Tue 19-Jul-11 17:11:28

You comb the nits out, DC go to school, you comb the nits out, DC goes to school, you comb the nits out, repeat forever

VinoEsmeralda Tue 19-Jul-11 18:48:45

Just got the nitty gritty and my word it's fantastic!! Loads and loads of brown little eggs and only 3-4 adult ones.

Thank you so much!

PollyParrott Wed 20-Jul-11 21:46:52

Conditioner with tea-tree oil added works a treat and if you always use this, it will deter them from climbing aboard!

timidviper Wed 20-Jul-11 21:52:29

Make sure you put loads of conditioner on and leave it for at least 5 mins before combing. Lice breathe through holes in their shells, conditioner blocks them and after a few mins they fall asleep due to lack of oxygen. If the lice are awake they can move from uncombed hair onto combed hair but this way you can be sure you'll get them all.

MrsFizzywig Thu 21-Jul-11 10:48:50

I don't think you could do this with DD's, but when my DS's had nits, I got them straight down to the barber for a No1.(I told the barber they had nits and he was happy to shave them) No hair = no nits. Worked a treat.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now