Talk

Advanced search

Twins - 6 months and not sleeping

(5 Posts)
megclaire Thu 14-Jul-11 09:24:35

Hi All, my twins are 6 months and still not sleeping through.
Their last bottle is at 6.30pm and they are settled by 7pm. We haven't stuck with the 'dream feed' as they were always too tired to take it. They wake up generally anytime from midnight to 2am and we give them a feed then.
My little boy then sometimes manages to sleep until 6.45, but usually wakes around 4 and goes back to sleep after a cuddle.
My little girl always wakes at 4am and generally does not go back to sleep. Giving her a bottle makes no difference. She has 3 naps during the day at a total of 2 and half to 3 hours and never sleeps after 4pm.
I have started weaning and not sure whether to try my boy on water and see if I get him going through the night? I am pulling my hair out with my little girl. I thought by 6 months this would be much better - I am exhausted, has anyone got any advice or reasuurance that this will change soon.
Everyone I know has babies who slept through from about 6 weeks, I am feeling like the worlds worst mum right now.

LaLoose Thu 14-Jul-11 14:54:33

First off, don't go down the 'everyone I know has babies who sleep through' route - that way madness lies! Plus, I bet you anything it isn't true.

Second, twins are different. As you know, when one of them wakes, it disturbs the other, and you get caught in a vicious cycle.

Third, your son sounds 'settled' in his sleep pattern, so I should leave it as it is.

Lastly, your daughter. That's your real problem here. At six months, I would be trying her on just two naps a day (not sure my twins ever had three naps, but then it is all a bit of a blur). Though if you do try this, put your son on the same schedule. Having them on different schedules is going to make your life hell (you know this)!

My son has always needed less sleep than my daughter. I think the way we handled it has meant that - sadly - we went by his schedule and she spent her first year a little bit sleep deprived (that was not the intention). BUT it also meant that life/sleep started to make a bit more sense at six months.

Whatever happens, good luck. A lot of people here - me included - know how hard it is with twins. And yes, I can reassure you that they will settle down soon.

And you might consider moving this thread to Multiple Births. Lots of good advice over there!

LLx

LaLoose Thu 14-Jul-11 20:19:35

Incidentally, you're not blessed by the time of year. My twins (2.4) wake up early most days.

megclaire Fri 15-Jul-11 09:20:13

Oh thanks, I 'm new to this so will try and find out how to move this thread and have a look at that section.

Yep, my daughter is definitely the problem. I have tried to get them on 2 naps a day but by the evening they are such a hard work because they become over tired but maybe I should persevere with this and see if it helps.

I did wonder if the early wakings were due to the sun, despite blackout blinds, curtains, etc, the room is really not that dark!

Thanks for your help
x

LaLoose Fri 15-Jul-11 13:24:18

Not at all. Thought of one more thing: no naps after 3pm. I did do that and it worked (even I can remember that, and my memory's shot!)

All the very best. It will be better soon, I promise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now