Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Friend wants to borrow something but I would rather not lend it!

(8 Posts)
Numberfour Tue 28-Jun-11 09:48:29

I borrowed an gazebo from a friend a few years ago - she said she did not need it and could not use it for various reasons, in any event. Unfortunatley the gazebo was damaged through our use of it so we paid her what it would cost to replace it.

Now said friend wants to borrow our tent. It is a little bit worn and on its last legs. We will be using it for 2 weeks in August and could not afford to replace it it if were damaged... I am very reluctant to say yes and am sure that DH would want me to say no. However, I feel a bit like I should say yes because of the gazebo loan!!

WWYD: lend the tent or not? And if not, which I am inclined to do, how do I say no in a friendly way??

Oh dear: Neither a borrower nor a lender be, or something like that..............

SenoritaViva Tue 28-Jun-11 09:54:30

Does she want to borrow it before your August holiday?

In which case I'd say 'sorry it's on it's last legs and we really need it to last the whole 2 weeks for our holiday in August'

If after I'd say 'don't think it will last our August holiday and so I don't think it would be good to rely on us'.

Or 'of course you can but obviously you'll need to pay if breaks (like we did) and it has been used a fair amount'.

Simple.

mrsravelstein Tue 28-Jun-11 09:57:08

i got the impression they want it before your august holiday, in which case i think senorita's first answer is polite and not unkind.

Honeydragon Tue 28-Jun-11 09:58:48

I would say that it's on its last legs and you are using your holiday to see how well it fairs. Therefore I'd rather you didn't borrow it in case it broke and hurt you or damaged anything, as silly as it sounds I'd be worried about you the whole time you had it.

Numberfour Tue 28-Jun-11 10:00:03

Thank you! They want it before our holiday.

I have no idea how I made any decisions before MN came into my life grin.

Numberfour Tue 28-Jun-11 12:10:34

I have sent the hopefully polite and kind refusal and am now waiting for the response...............

Numberfour Tue 28-Jun-11 13:03:07

smile all good, thanks everyone!

Honeydragon Tue 28-Jun-11 14:56:08

glad smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now