Talk

Advanced search

5 year old, asked difficult question, how do you explain?

(125 Posts)
altinkum Sun 26-Jun-11 22:02:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Olivetti Sun 26-Jun-11 22:03:40

Just say no, and explain that some gay people do have children.

cory Sun 26-Jun-11 22:03:51

(assuming that you are a Christian), there is absolutely nothing wrong with answering: I haven't got a clue, darling

ihatecbeebies Sun 26-Jun-11 22:04:01

How old is ds?

cory Sun 26-Jun-11 22:04:25

but would add as Olivetti says that some of them actually do

BornInAfrica Sun 26-Jun-11 22:04:55

And the child who asked this is 5???

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

manicinsomniac Sun 26-Jun-11 22:05:19

I would say no, God allows every person to decide if they want to have children or not (I wouldn't touch on infertility!) and that includes gay people.

chicletteeth Sun 26-Jun-11 22:07:36

Tell him that some gay people do have children as a couple and regardless they still have the means to procreate anyway.

Blimey asking that at 5? Does he understand what sex is already then and how babies are made?

TheShowgirl Sun 26-Jun-11 22:07:38

Five? With a vocabulary like that? grin

peeriebear Sun 26-Jun-11 22:08:19

Lots of straight people don't have children and lots of gay people do have children.

chicletteeth Sun 26-Jun-11 22:08:55

Anyway, forgot to mention, only bring God into it if you believe in God.

My son (aged 6) asks me about God all the time, and I tell him I don't believe but that others do and that is their choice.

He gets it and says he believes because I don't grin

worraliberty Sun 26-Jun-11 22:09:27

I would say 'God makes all sorts of people and he gives them freedom to make their own decisions'

Then explain that not all straight people want children anyway.

creamola Sun 26-Jun-11 22:10:08

he's advanced for 5 isn't he!

altinkum Sun 26-Jun-11 22:11:08

fit2drop Sun 26-Jun-11 22:11:27

agree with BornInAfrica

and will add my own assumption that this is in fact OP thoughts and hiding behind the story of saying its a five year old to protect the flaming she has deliberately stoked.

Just my assumption like hmm

OracleInaCoracle Sun 26-Jun-11 22:11:32

Yabu to put this in aibu

altinkum Sun 26-Jun-11 22:12:41

BornInAfrica Sun 26-Jun-11 22:15:08

And I agree with fit2 - grin - because this is clearly bullshine. No 5 year old I ever knew - and I've known a few! - has ever voiced anything like this.

OP just have the courage to say what you want to say without pinning it on a child ffs.

altinkum Sun 26-Jun-11 22:15:22

hobbgoblin Sun 26-Jun-11 22:16:56

Gay people do have children but they can't make them without help because you have to have a girl AND a boy bottom/body to actually make the baby. So because gay people do have children (with help) this can't be the reason God made gay people. It might be so that there are as many possible ways of loving people as possible.

CaptainBizarro Sun 26-Jun-11 22:18:18

In really hope this isn't going to turn into the usual MN AIBU pile-in, making the OP feel stupid and putting her totally on the defensive - and that instead people provide reasonable answers that might rationally answer the question in a good way for her DS and educate any small-minded bigots who might happen to be reading.

I would just explain that some people, including some men and women, sometimes need doctors to help them make babies.

It's not a bad question, coming from a 5 year old - he's turning the idea over in his mind and trying to understand something. If it's coming from a place completely free of bigotry, then it's just good old-fashioned trying-to-make-sense-of-the-world.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 26-Jun-11 22:18:49

In the op's defence, ds is 6 and he has asked me about civil partnerships, same sex families etc.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 26-Jun-11 22:18:54

In the op's defence, ds is 6 and he has asked me about civil partnerships, same sex families etc.

altinkum Sun 26-Jun-11 22:19:39

ihatecbeebies Sun 26-Jun-11 22:21:09

Did your DS even ask about God? If he just asked; "do gay people not have babies, so their isn't so many children in the world" then you say they still have babies but with help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now