Talk

Advanced search

Post arriving at my house for old owners 2 years after moving in

(28 Posts)
nowwearefour Thu 16-Jun-11 19:12:54

In 2009 we bought the house we live in from an elderly couple who had lived here for 40 years. They put a re-direct on their post for 3 months. Since the redirect ended, they have been turning up on our doorstep or phoning wondering when we are going to drop their post round/ they can come and collect (and make comments about what the hosue looks like now). I am sick of it ! I started to 'return to sender' but they phoned me up and asked me not to. They claim they are telling all their key people they have moved but we are still getting SO MUCH STUFF! we put our re-direct on for 2 years and runs out in a few days. The woman called me today to accuse me of binning important doctor's appointment letters (I havent) and to tell me not to bin anything, not even junk mail. She was not pleasant. I am minded just to bin everything from now on. i havent so far as i am trying to be kind and periodically i let my neighbour have the post as she sees her quite often. anyway my neighbour told her it is a pain (which it is) and now she has got the right hump! she claims she drops te post in her new house to their old owners once a week. i havent got time for that sort of malarkey ! WWYD?

petal2008 Fri 17-Jun-11 10:10:23

I'd tell her to set up another redirection. You are not a PO Box. If that doesn't work I'd bin everything and tell her there was nothing for her. Cheeky cow!

transferbalance Fri 17-Jun-11 10:14:28

we still get post for previous owners 8 years after we moved in

i bin it

SGertie Fri 17-Jun-11 10:16:34

I'd tell her in no uncertain terms that I'd be returning everything to sender. And then chuck the lot out
We still get stuff over 4 years on but don't actually know where the previous people are now (they moved to rented place before buying) so it all gets returned to sender or binned depending on who it's from and what mood I'm in. the annoying thing is there are several companies who keep sending stuff despite us returning to sender and writing notes to say they moved so long ago.

chrisrobin Fri 17-Jun-11 10:20:38

We still get post for the previous owners of our house 11 years after we moved in. I know their new address so anything that looks important I put 'redirect to...' on, anything else eg junk mail, catalogues, I put a line through my address and put 'No longer at this address, return to sender and remove from mailing list' and put them back in the post box. This has worked with the junk mail and we get substantially less than we were getting.
Oh and have you changed the front door lock since moving? The previous owner let himself in the once about a month after we moved in!

We still get post for the previous tenant despite the fact they did a moonlight flit 2.5 years ago. Given the amount of parking tickets and summons they get I think their car hasn't actually moved with them yet. Combine that with the occasional police and bailiffs visits we get for them I'd actually quite like them to pop by one day...

We do 'Return to Sender' with a note on the front saying how long they've been gone. Their letters tend to be a bit too official to bin sad

JumpJockey Fri 17-Jun-11 10:26:23

3 months is not long enough, tell her to set up another redirect. Some stuff only comes once/twice a year.
We occasionally get letters for the previous people 7 years on. I generally bin it/return to sender, except a couple that came from a bank where I took them to the branch and said This person really and truly no longer lives here. Bank put a note on te records, no more stuff. They never gave us a forwarding address so nothing else we could do.

birdofthenorth Fri 17-Jun-11 10:46:37

Yanbu!! Our previous owners moved out 14 months ago & redirect ran out after 6 months, I bin everything that looks vaguely junky & send the rest on in such a slovenly fashion that they will miss any urgent info... for I am also not a post office grin

DamselInDisarray Fri 17-Jun-11 10:49:55

How can you possibly be getting letters about important doctors appointments? It is their responsibility to inform their doctors of their change of address (if they actually want to receive any mail). You;d think they'd have gotten around to it in 2 years.

SuburbanDream Fri 17-Jun-11 10:53:47

Do you have their address? Just put "pls redirect to XXX" on the envelopes and stick them in the postbox. It's ridiculous of them to expect you to be sorting their post for them.

bringinghomethebacon Fri 17-Jun-11 11:01:12

Well I don't think it's actually too much hassle to write an address on an envelope and stick it back in the postbox (you don't need a stamp if you're redirecting like that). But I can totally see why you'd get utterly fed up of it after 2 years especially because she comes to your house! I would actually put it in writing to her to say that you do not appreciate continually having to deal with her post, you will continue to collect it for another two weeks and will forward it at a time convenient to you, this will give her time to set up a Royal Mail redirection for whatever period of time she chooses. After that redirection has finished you will then put the post in the bin or return it to sender. Reiterate that you have no obligation whatsoever to keep her post since she no longer lives at your address and has more than ample time to arrange either redirection or notify all persons.

veritythebrave Fri 17-Jun-11 11:02:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bumpybecky Fri 17-Jun-11 11:06:21

yanbu to bin it. I'd have been more sympathetic if the ex-owner had not been so rude, but as she's been nasty, bin the lot

I still get letters each week for the previous owners of this house, we've been here nearly 10 years

ZZZenAgain Fri 17-Jun-11 11:07:55

just keepwriting return to sender on post for the two months regardless of what she said then after that bin everything or put it a plastic bag and hand it to the neighbour at the end of the year or something whenever it is convenient.

I would be a wee bit leniant because they are elderly and lived there for 40 years but the rude tone would hack me right off

DamselInDisarray Fri 17-Jun-11 11:23:04

verity: did you move into my old house? My previous landlords got bailiffs etc round all the time, and hence didn't redirect their mail. It was a nightmare.

trice Fri 17-Jun-11 11:26:23

we bin everything - it has been 8 years.

needanewname Fri 17-Jun-11 11:29:04

Usually I'd say you could give it to your neighbour say once a week but her rudeness would make me want to bin it.

Saying that anything official looking I would give to your neighbour, Anything junky looking I would return to sender saying no longer at this address.

bigbadbarry Fri 17-Jun-11 12:50:36

I still pass the odd thing on if it looks official and we have been here 5 years. That said, these are things that slipped through the net after their sensible 1-year redirection period ended. Had they just expected me to deliver all their post because they hadn't told anybody and only had a short redirect applied, it would all be going in the bin by now.

YookUnt Fri 17-Jun-11 12:55:17

why on earth have they not informed anyone of their new address?
My concern would be if they look like they live at your address (bank statements sent there etc) then maybe they could get a loan out, which would be hassle for YOU if your address is involved.

Paschaelina Fri 17-Jun-11 12:57:30

It all goes straight back into the shredder postbox. One day we opened what looked like a junk letter out of curiosity (I know, I know) to find it contained a dividend cheque. We had been merrily shredding that company's stuff for a year. Now it just goes straight back in the box.

NightLark Fri 17-Jun-11 13:01:03

After about 4 years of re-directing / returning to sender / popping stuff through the old owners new letterbox I started opening the mail, contacting the magazines / banks etc myself and telling them that the prev. owners had changed address and to stop sending mail.

I didn't tell them where the new address was as I didn't feel I had the right to disclose that to a third party, but I was sick to death of getting mail for a family of five, years and years after they moved out.

It seemed to work, we just get the odd christmas card for them now...

savoycabbage Fri 17-Jun-11 13:05:18

I would be tempted to phone the doctors etc and changing the addresses...

nowwearefour Fri 17-Jun-11 17:37:51

Thanks all. I am sick of writing on all the envelopes but I might start doing it again. Good to know I have been sort of on track with majority view. She told me to pass it on in a timely fashion. I told her I had been. I think she never recovered from selling the family home.

hocuspontas Fri 17-Jun-11 17:46:57

Do I win? Been here 13 years and still get stuff for previous owners and the ones before that. I return to sender now unless it looks personal then I will redirect. No biggie. Our old house still redirect our mail to us - how embarrassing! I'm always apologising.

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 17-Jun-11 17:53:12

Definitely start putting absolutely everything in the postbox marked return to sender. It'll stop eventually (took about 6 months here)

If they come over then just plead ignorance and say the post must have finally stopped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now