Talk

Advanced search

Finding old friend

(5 Posts)
galwaygal Sun 05-Jun-11 21:29:48

This is more of a "how would you" strictly speaking but I was unsure where to put it.

I want to find an old family friend, but I have limited details for them, first name, last name, birthday, year of birth +/- 2 years, where they grew up (not place of birth) and univeristy they probrably attended.

It is so little to go on, and the name is too common to search fb or other site.

So how would you go about it? I am at a loss as to where to start. Any help gratefully received.

glitzy Wed 08-Jun-11 16:41:50

Have you tried googling the details you do have, in one search ie

"john Smith" "1950" "high school" "town"

Put the " " round each word, and see what you find. After each unsucessful search, remove one word

said Wed 08-Jun-11 16:43:25

FriendsReunited might be better if you know his university?

galwaygal Thu 09-Jun-11 22:10:05

I have tried both, but unfortunately the name is common like "John Smith" so it has been impossible to google and also there is noone listed under this name at friendsreunited at the university I think they were at. Thank you for the suggestions though.

I think it may be complicated that I heard that they were born in the USA originally, came to UK to live with grandmother while at school. I think after Uni a return to the USA might have been on the cards. So right now I don't even know which country they might be in!!!!!

I think I need to get rich and hire a private detective!!!!

justbeme Thu 09-Jun-11 22:29:16

You could try

www.linkedin.com/

It's for professional people to show the world their work employment etc (and which universities they went to)

You may need to wade through a few pages of people with the same name - but i found a friend this way who doesn't use Facebook or Friends Reunited. I had to "join" (free). Good Luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now