Talk

Advanced search

if suddenly you couldn't get CBeebies (no seriously, I need help)

(36 Posts)
hester Sun 05-Jun-11 21:19:24

Bleedin Freeview has suddenly lost about half its channels, including BBC1, BBC2 and [gulp] CBeebies.

I don't know why, but it may be because earlier it asked me to accept new channels and I clicked 'ok'. I now have GayRabbit where I used to have BBC1...

Does anyone know what I've done here, and what I can do to put it right?

StealthPolarBear Sun 05-Jun-11 21:22:04

Oh no this happened to us once - huge sympathies
I think we moved in with my mum and dad while it was being fixed - I mean you can live without water, or maybe heat but this is SERIOUS
grin

StealthPolarBear Sun 05-Jun-11 21:22:46

OK on a serious note, have you been throguh all the channels? I bet it's somewhere else?
Can you do some sort of manual tune (is that how it's done for digital??)

Besom Sun 05-Jun-11 21:25:32

It's because of the digital switchover isn't it? Does your remote have a retune/reset button or something?

We've lost loads (but not ceebeebies thankfully) as we can't retune because the remote is buggered and there doesn't seem to be a way to do it otherwise.

boysrock Sun 05-Jun-11 21:25:42

Rescan quick! then try to remember where its put the ones you actually watch.

BertieBotts Sun 05-Jun-11 21:28:18

When my freeview box broke, I switched to using youtube/iPlayer blush

This is worse than CBeebies as it's 24 hours. On the plus side you can make a playlist of whichever programmes you can stand, and avoid the crap ones. Just watch out for the dubbed postman pat etc with swearing in grin

hester Sun 05-Jun-11 21:29:51

How do you rescan/retune/reset? I'm staring at the zapper and none of the buttons say that.

[Hyperventilating here, remembering that toddler has ear infection and has also been exposed to chicken pox this week: we NEED CBeebies]

whomovedmychocolate Sun 05-Jun-11 21:30:06

We get this when it's rainy/windy and we retune. Try again in an hour. However BBC2 does cbeebies for a bit in the morning.

treacletart Sun 05-Jun-11 21:31:40

just watch it on ipllayer

hester Sun 05-Jun-11 21:31:41

We've also lost BBC2, whomovedmychocolate... sad

OK, I need to get a grip here. Keep saying to myself, "This is NOT a housefire; your pipes have NOT burst; the children are safe and there is food in the fridge".

Georgimama Sun 05-Jun-11 21:33:22

Do a retune/rescan for channels. Ours disappear about once a year and it's because they've added more crap no one watches so all the channels get rejigged.

Besom Sun 05-Jun-11 21:33:50

Maybe try 'menu' button?

piprabbit Sun 05-Jun-11 21:34:50

Have you got a Freeview remote?
Click on the menu button - should bring up a list of options for tweaking your Freeview box, including one that says something about retuning/scanning.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 05-Jun-11 21:37:26

You could move into a Travelodge wink - they have cbeebies.

hester Sun 05-Jun-11 21:43:13

Menu button gives three options: picture, sound and setup. Would it be setup, do you think?

PorkChopSter Sun 05-Jun-11 21:45:13

Yes, Setup.

hester Sun 05-Jun-11 21:47:38

Right, I've got into the tuning menu. Options are: favourites edit; channel list; auto setup; manual tuning; update channel list; new channel message; signal condition.

I am frozen into idiotic paralysis. Somebody please tell me what to do.

Georgimama Sun 05-Jun-11 21:49:58

I would try update channel list or auto setup.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 05-Jun-11 21:50:08

Google it.

I'm hopeless in a crisis but Google always comes up trumps grin

MumblingRagDoll Sun 05-Jun-11 21:51:46

I would get DVDs of it!

hester Sun 05-Jun-11 21:53:19

I'm running auto set up. It will take about three minutes.

Thank you, all of you, for understanding that this is a life-threatening emergency.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 05-Jun-11 21:54:37

Bear in mind cbeebies isn't on at this time of night...and just come up as a red screen at this time of night.

hester Sun 05-Jun-11 21:55:11

YAY IT WORKED!!

I know, in the scheme of things, this probably doesn't count as a notable night for Mumsnet. But it is a very big deal in our house grin

Thank you so much, everybody - I owe you all a drink smile

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 05-Jun-11 21:56:16

Hooray grin

I'm so very glad it worked - I know the uproar there would be in our house if cbeebeies suddenly wasn't availble blush

hester Sun 05-Jun-11 22:00:50

smile smile smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now