Talk

Advanced search

Throw a party on Father's Day - yes or no?

(8 Posts)
Bagda Sat 04-Jun-11 15:13:18

DD's birthday is coming up and because of various commitments the only day free to have a party for her and her schoolfriends that's near her birthday is Father's Day. We're only inviting 4 friends to make it a smaller do and intending to give out invites tommorrow but I'm now panicking that no-one will come because of the day. WWYD - have it then anyway and hope they don't all say no, or have it after school on her actual birthday, which would be very awkward but just about do-able?

Bagda Sat 04-Jun-11 15:14:32

Not giving out invites tommorrow, I mean Monday - brain is fried thanks to half term blush

tribpot Sat 04-Jun-11 15:14:59

Surely no-one spends the whole day celebrating Father's Day? I'd put your invites out and if somehow the majority do say they can't make it you can always move it to after school/

Bagda Sat 04-Jun-11 15:17:07

Thanks tribpot, forgot to say my expectation of Father's Day is skewed because I'm a lone parent so, besides dropping a card off to my own dad, I haven't a clue what people typically do for the day.

tribpot Sat 04-Jun-11 15:24:33

Me neither Bagda - not because I'm a lone parent but because we don't really 'do' those days. My mum is quite militant about it, taking the view that it was her choice to become a parent and that's that. And my dad never did anything that would qualify for a thanks on Father's Day grin (not quite true but the number of times he was late with the [meagre] child support when we had absolutely no money as children speaks for itself).

Hope you get some positive responses but if not, at least it will be an interesting social study into how other people spend Father's Day!

Bagda Sat 04-Jun-11 15:52:21

True! Will definitely be interesting to see if my/our experience is common or if people really do make a big deal of these 'Days'. Never made a big deal of Mother's Day either, when I was little it was just a card, small present then get on with the day as normal and the same from dd now. Somewhere along the way the 'Hallmark' vision of everyone else floating off for a special lunch and a whole day out planned got into my head grin

MorticiaAddams Sat 04-Jun-11 17:07:17

I would answer no for Father's Day because we either would be out for a meal or I would be cooking and we'd all be drinking too.

littleducks Sat 04-Jun-11 17:10:44

I would decline an invite on fathers day tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now