Talk

Advanced search

DS's main Xmas present very disappointing and now broken

(24 Posts)
gaelicsheep Sun 09-Jan-11 22:18:34

It's one of those £40 "interactive" talking Woodys. From the outset I thought it was very expensive for what it is - nowhere as good as the Buzz Lightyear we have for the same price (birthday present). It isn't really interactive at all, just sound activated to say random stuff. I can tell DS is a little disappointed, poor wee thing (he's 4).

Anyhow its trousers started to come apart at the seams and now the head has come off. DS has been twisting it around like in the film, but I presumed this was intended as it moves that way. DS is generally very god with his toys and it's unheard of for something to break so soon.

To cut to the chase, DH isn't confident we'll get a replacement/refund, and we no longer have the box. If we didn't, God forbid, what would you do? Buy another at huge expense or put it down to experience? The latter seems a bit harsh for a 4 year old, yet I really don't think he's that keen. confused

flowery Sun 09-Jan-11 22:20:54

Doesn't sound fit for purpose to me. Do you have a receipt? I'd take it back.

One of DS2's presents has broken already, and he's not at all hard on it and was ill for a week from Christmas Day as well. It was a John Lewis own toy though, so although we don't have the box, and have probably lost the receipt, I will still be taking it back as there's no doubt it's from there.

SecretNutellaFix Sun 09-Jan-11 22:22:25

Do you have the receipt/ delivery note?

It has been less than 3 weeks since Christmas, so I think you should have a very good chance of replacement/ refund.

TheMonster Sun 09-Jan-11 22:23:15

I think you won't have a problem taking it back.

gaelicsheep Sun 09-Jan-11 22:26:36

I have the receipt, but DH reckons they'll shrug it off. I think he's being a pessimist. The thing is though, I'm not sure DS really really wants another one. He's very good at telling you what he thinks you want to hear - it's hard to get to the truth. Not sure whether to go for a refund and get him something else, but worried that sends the wrong messages. I'll probably replace it - I think.

flowery Sun 09-Jan-11 22:29:46

Surely they won't just shrug it off? It's only been 3 weeks. What shop was it, somewhere reputable?

Can you just ask your DS directly whether he would prefer another one or something else?

KangarooCaught Sun 09-Jan-11 22:31:37

I'd ask for a full refund - not fit for purpose/no faith in the product - and get him something else.

HaveAHappyNewJung Sun 09-Jan-11 22:31:53

No harm trying. Don't buy another one though if it doesn't work.

If you don't get a replacement or refund you could presumably fix the trousers?

nickschick Sun 09-Jan-11 22:33:49

where was it from?

take it back and at the very least you should get a credit note .......i wouldnt buy another its likely to be of the same quality and im sure you can pick a non interactive woody up for cheaper.

bubbleandsqueaks Sun 09-Jan-11 22:33:51

You would get a refund. Take it back. Tell them you don't want another because of the poor quality.

You are a fool if you don't tbh

Northernlurker Sun 09-Jan-11 22:38:07

The head has come off? I don't think that should happen should it? I would take it back and then ask your ds what he wants. This present is meant to give him pleasure not you smile

gaelicsheep Sun 09-Jan-11 22:41:11

The trousers aren't the problem Jung, it's the fact he's headless and unmendable - plastic sheered off. I've been researching this and it seems he's the only really Woody-like Woody IYSWIM. But DS is really disappointed he doesn't say "Somebody's poisoned the waterhole" - that's his first line in the first film. Anyone happen to know of a Woody toy that does? (not really expecting a Yes to that!)

gaelicsheep Sun 09-Jan-11 22:44:37

I wish I could tell what my DS wants NL. He is very difficult to read. He said to me on Xmas night "Mummy, if I get bored of Woody then I'll put him in my drawer". I asked if he thought he would. He said "Maybe just a little bit". sad He's had a really difficult year and I just want to make him happy.

Lynli Sun 09-Jan-11 22:46:09

You are entitled to a refund, it was not fit for purpose. Tell them you don't want another as it is unlikely to be any better.

They can't shrug you off if you insist.

HaveAHappyNewJung Sun 09-Jan-11 22:46:30

Oops didn't see the headless bit. Good grief. Refund it is then!

KangarooCaught Sun 09-Jan-11 22:53:19

Ds had the BuzzLightyear, which is robust, and a very simple Woody, and they both gots lots of play.

Take it back, get him a different kind of Woody and something else he would like. How about Woody or Buzz dress-up or maybe a toy rocket tent he could play in like a spaceman?

gaelicsheep Sun 09-Jan-11 22:59:49

Can you suggest a simple Woody that you can actually get hold of? TS3 seems to mean that all the cheaper stuff has gone off the shelves.

nickschick Mon 10-Jan-11 08:10:59

What you really need is the woody from the forst time round ......he has a drawstring and says all the lines .....have a look on ebay.

KangarooCaught Mon 10-Jan-11 11:08:50

Yes, ds was from the first time round, he really is just a stuffed toy. Will look.

flamingpants Mon 10-Jan-11 11:19:17

What's the harm in trying? You might not get a refund but maybe a credit note and you can get something else. Whatever you don't mention that you weren't happy with the toy (as they may think it was intentional damage). But rather say you are hesitant to replace it since you have seen the quality is under par for a toy of that price.

GnomeDePlume Mon 10-Jan-11 11:34:52

Dont be hesitant. March in to the shop - 'this toy is badly made and dangerous - bits should not be falling off it'. If there is any dithering from the other side of the counter then ask for supervisor. Toys are meant to be played with and not break with normal use.

You should get your money back.

TerrysNo2 Mon 10-Jan-11 11:51:04

I would search the product online and call the manufacturer directly, you may have better luck that way. If not, write a stern letter to the manufacturers MD - they get things done quicker!

Tikkabillajive Mon 10-Jan-11 11:57:12

You should definitely get a refund. Definitely. DS has the £20 Woody from the Disney Store and he is still going strong after over a year. I don't think he says "Somebody's poisoned the waterhole" (will go and check) but he definitely says "There's a snake in my boots". He's very much like the real Woody and is completely beloved by my son. smile

gaelicsheep Mon 10-Jan-11 22:31:25

Unfortunately the online Disney store is totally out of the £20 Woodys - I am now an expert on Woody's after spending literally hours searching online last night! I discovered that there is no Woody toy out there - except for one by Mattel that looks nothing like him - that says "somebody poisoned the waterhole".

I asked DS this morning what he wanted to do and he was adamant that he wanted another Woody. So in the absence of any other options I got a replacement. There was no quibbling. DS also got a Mr Potato Head with his Xmas money (the £10 one) and seems equally happy with that.

It's strangely nice having Woody back so I guess he's not that bad. I still think he's hugely expensive for what he is - we paid the same for the Jet Pack Buzz Lighyear back in July and that is much much better toy. Let's hope this Woody lasts longer than the first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now