Talk

Advanced search

husbands of sisters

(8 Posts)
vintageteacups Sun 26-Dec-10 16:20:19

My DH has nothing in common with my brother in law but it's getting so difficult for my DH to find anything to chat about. He tries but sister's dh replies with one word answers or gives replies that cannot be continued.

He's a lovely bloke; just not interested in anything my dh is into.

What would you do.

I appreciate that I can't make them like each other (it's not that dh doesn't like him; just finds it a bit tricky when left in a room). Just because they both happen to be married to sisters doesn't mean that they need to get on but at xmas and other family get togethers, it'd be easier if they did get on better.

Binfullofgibletsonthe45 Sun 26-Dec-10 16:25:25

Put the Telly on to sky sports and let them get on with it.

vintageteacups Sun 26-Dec-10 16:26:58

hmm - dh does cars/hates football
sister's dh does football and that's it.

Don't have sky grin

JaxTellersOldLady Sun 26-Dec-10 16:29:30

could they think of something that they have in common? Do they like certain tv programmes or magazines? Work interests? CArs? Sports? Computers?

There must be something that they have in common surely?

I say this as the sis in law of someone who I have little in common with, my BIL, but we do manage to chat about this and that and he is so into certain things that I stick to those subjects when we are left alone together. Luckily the children are often about and they tend to never be quiet for a second. grin

atswimtwolengths Sun 26-Dec-10 17:08:59

Would they both be interested in going to the gym?

vintageteacups Mon 27-Dec-10 11:52:41

was actually not too bad in the end.
I did most of the chatting and DH was okay at making small talk.

MeowyChristmasEveryone Mon 27-Dec-10 12:01:34

My DH has this problem with my brother - except for the fact that he also loathes my brother, but we try to maintain a relationship at my dad and step-mum's house.

But my brother's only interest is football and his job (he's plumber), while my DH has a whole range of hobbies, most of which involves electronic games consoles or painting model soldiers for table top gaming.

Small talk with my brother is IMPOSSIBLE, so we've both given up trying. If I need to speak to him, I do. Otherwise I talk to someone else.

vintageteacups Mon 27-Dec-10 15:02:22

Yes - I think silence is sometimes better than trying to make small talk that looks like you don't really give a hoot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: