Talk

Advanced search

Do I say anything or let him find out on his own....

(10 Posts)
dopey2709 Wed 08-Dec-10 19:41:42

Ok so bear with me this is my 1st post...sorry if this has already been discussed!
My eldest is at that age where I am not sure if he still believes in father christmas...he acts like he does but I think he may be going along with it for the benefit of our little one. He questioned it last year but we did not say either way but did the whole 'well who brings your presents?' to which he replied 'you' as the little one was there we replied with 'but we are asleep how can we bring your presents?' and he decided he was real. I don't want to be the one to tell him but worry that he might be made fun of by his friends...really not sure how to go about this......in my circle of friends I have the oldest child by quite a few years so none of them are faced with this dilemaa yet????

booyhohoho Wed 08-Dec-10 19:43:37

how old is he?

dopey2709 Wed 08-Dec-10 19:46:56

10..should have put that already..oops

booyhohoho Wed 08-Dec-10 19:50:14

i would tell him tbh. but make him promise not to tell any other children at school incase they don't know. i Imagine if he was asking last year then he has guessed but is just playing along.

dopey2709 Wed 08-Dec-10 19:53:26

But...what if I spoil it for him???confused

booyhohoho Wed 08-Dec-10 20:15:12

well, you could let him carry on believing this year and then maybe once all notion of xmas is out of his head, you could tell him, like closer to the summer so it isn't such a big loss to him IYSWIM?

MimsyRogers Wed 08-Dec-10 20:25:39

Tell him. You have to so it sometime. I have a 10 yr old too and we told her last year when she just had too many questions. Yes I guess it is spoiling it for him, but you can't use that argument forever! He won't thank you for keeping up the pretence until he's what... 12? 14? Definitely tell him.

welshandproud Wed 08-Dec-10 20:32:25

We're in same position with DD (almost 12) she has younger siblings I think she knows really as friends have spilt the beans, that's fine, but I have no intention of spoiling the illusion. Long may it last!! Why would you want to take away one of the best bits of being a child?
I was 13 when i worked it out/got persuaded by friends. Didnt do me any harm!

conkertree Wed 08-Dec-10 20:35:55

I knew when I was in primary 4 or 5 so around about 9 from friends but I maintained the pretence with my parents until I went to uni at 18 and stopped getting a stocking ( big present alwYs came from my parents anyway).

Neither side felt the need to discuss it, and that's the way I liked it.

welshandproud Wed 08-Dec-10 20:40:54

I agree conkertree I will never admit to it!
wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now