Talk

Advanced search

School Christmas gifts room

(4 Posts)
silverfrog Wed 24-Nov-10 08:21:13

Dd2's school have a scheme where the children get to go and choose a present for their parents, from a selection donated by parents, iyswim.

This is dd2's first year there. I got the form, saying please donate £2 per gift required, and also buy gifts to put in the room, same number of gifts as you want your child to choose.

No other guidelines.

So, I umped and ahhhed about what to buy - WTF do you buy for a random child to choose for their random parent?

Anyway, settled on gifts, muttering a bit about the cost (seem to be in a round of never-ending asking for money ATM, raffle tickets, present for teacher etc)

Have just had a round robin email this morning saying please remember to donate gifts if you haven't done so (and would like your child to take part) , max value of gift £2. This info was missing from the original, and I donated a couple of things costing £15 or so.

I don't mind about the cost, it was my choice to donate. But the email says they are short of presents, and I wonder whether they will not want to put my gifts in, as they are so far off what they were expecting...

Dd2 is currently off sick, and they want all donations in by tomorrow.

Wwyd? Emergency buy some cheap tat and dropo it in, even though school knows I have already donated (chatted to teacher about it), or leave it, and possibly leave them short if they decide they cannot put in stuff that is not a tacky keyring/Christmas socks etc for the children to choose from?

BudaisintheZONE Wed 24-Nov-10 08:26:50

I would talk to whoever is organising and tell them you didn't realise the limit was 2 pounds and can you have back what you donated and you will get some other stuff. Not a biggie I wouldn't have thought.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 24-Nov-10 10:59:56

When our DD did this, she had to take two presents in because she would be buying two presents.
As far as I can remember, only those who donated are eligible to purchase and you could only buy for your immediate family.
Her school (Switzerland) welcomed gently used goods too.

Iamcountingto3 Wed 24-Nov-10 11:04:05

Agree with Buda - if they are short of gifts, they would rather I'm sure have 5 x cheap £2 things than a couple of lovely £15 things. Reply to the email (& gently point out that as a new parent, the rules weren't immeadiately clear)

I'm PTA chair, & I would MUCH rather people got back to me than were left feeling that things haven't worked properly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: