Talk

Advanced search

Would you let your child have a day off school to audition for Britain's Got Talent?

(42 Posts)
brassick Tue 23-Nov-10 18:57:59

DD2 (11, year 7) has been asked to join a group of her friends and audition for Britain's Got Talent next Monday.

One one hand I'm quite excited about it - they are all very talented, and it is one of those things that you don't get to do very often (and yes, I'm aware that the initial round does not feature Simon Cowell et al).

On the other hand, she will need a day off school, which I'm not convinced they will give permission for, and I'm not 100% sure I think it's right to take a day off for this.

WWYD?

dearprudence Tue 23-Nov-10 18:59:08

Give her the day off. Don't see why not.

POFAKKEDDthechair Tue 23-Nov-10 19:01:50

If school says yes why not, but prepare her for all outcomes.

twirlymum Tue 23-Nov-10 19:02:05

I would ask the school's permission. If they were to go further in the competition she would need a considerable amount of time off, so it's better to be honest from the start.

What are they going to do, if the audition is on Monday, and they have only just asked her to join them? I thought all names had to go on the application form way in advance.

thesecondcoming Tue 23-Nov-10 19:34:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grumpypants Tue 23-Nov-10 19:36:12

If she wants to, ask the question. Half the dcs were on a tv show once, and loved it. Great experience.

FreudianSlimmery Tue 23-Nov-10 19:36:49

Sure, why not. She's only 11 it's not like she's doing GCSEs!

Good luck to her hope to see her on the show

TheLogLady Tue 23-Nov-10 19:37:17

no. they'll either be crap and ridiculed or mediocre and heartbroken. it will end in tears.

TheLogLady Tue 23-Nov-10 19:38:00

and remember that small girl who could sing but froze and sobbed on the stage.

thesecondcoming Tue 23-Nov-10 19:38:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheLogLady Tue 23-Nov-10 19:40:28

soft day off - go for it. not something that happens every day and a fun different experience. heartbroken sobbing children - not entertaining TV.

FreudianSlimmery Tue 23-Nov-10 19:43:48

So what exactly is the set up for this initial round, if it's not the televised one with mr high-waisted-trousers et al? I'm assuming there won't be an audience?

Also even on the televised auditions I've never seen them ridicule a young teen, they only seem to be fair game from maybe 15+

Rockbird Tue 23-Nov-10 19:44:43

I wouldn't. It's crap tv that exploits people who are desperate for their 15 minutes. No way would I allow my child into that even if she was the next Aled Jones <old gimmer>.

harecare Tue 23-Nov-10 19:45:22

No. It'll mean a lot of dull hanging around and then either a disappointing rejection or worse, her hopes are raised and she is rejected later on.
Worst case scenario - they win the whole thing and are then thrown into the spotlight without the maturity to handle it.
If they're that good they could do a special performance at the end of term disco/assembly/whatever. Be famous in their own school and see how they handle that.

pointydog Tue 23-Nov-10 19:52:46

Yes.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 23-Nov-10 19:54:46

Message withdrawn

Portofino Tue 23-Nov-10 19:56:23

Absolutely not!!! If dd shows interest in this area I will do all I can do to ensure she has access to music/drama clubs whilst she concentrates on getting an education. But I cannot abide these get famous quick things.....apart from Lee Mead who is hot blush and in his case he was older and already working in theatre....

scrappydappydoo Tue 23-Nov-10 19:57:35

No No No for all the above reasons that people have said no.
(sorry)

undercovamutha Tue 23-Nov-10 19:59:26

I would have no problem with the day off - if it was to do something a bit more worthy IYSWIM.

BGT/Xfactor etc etc are horrible, exploitative programmes that serve only to line Cowell's pocket and push the fame obsession.

usualsuspect Tue 23-Nov-10 20:00:44

Yes I would

Blu Tue 23-Nov-10 20:01:22

No.
Not at 11, and not for some vaguely talented quite good group of friends.
Pandering to a ridiculous cult of fame fantasy.

brassick Tue 23-Nov-10 20:42:25

Shall I expand. They are all part of a successful children's choir that has already been in the (televised) audition stage of another tv show, albeit on sky one.

They are aware of the possibility of rejection as that is what happened in this other competition.

They are all sensible, well balanced and talented, so I have no fears about it having a detrimental effect on their mental health.

Rockbird Tue 23-Nov-10 20:44:21

Still no. It's not done in their best interests. It's done in the interests of that tit and his cronies.

Portofino Tue 23-Nov-10 20:51:41

What Rockbird said. These things never turn out well.

Portofino Tue 23-Nov-10 20:53:32

Difficult one though if they are a group and the others are all going....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: