Talk

Advanced search

11 yo DD alone in a taxi

(8 Posts)
gorionine Mon 22-Nov-10 11:27:56

(Posting now, won't be able to read answers until about 4ish)

Dd has an afterschool thing tomorrow, I cannot be there to pick her up as have to pick up younger Dcs from a different school at the same time. Is it allowed/recommended/fair to book a taxi for her? To bring her back to where I would be with the other Dcs? I am feeling very uncomfortable with it myself but might be only solution.What do you think

(about 2 miles journey)

Hullygully Mon 22-Nov-10 11:31:02

I do this occasionally, I think it is fine if you know the cab company well. I get a woman driver too if poss.

Jas Mon 22-Nov-10 11:31:39

Plenty of 11 yr olds get the bus/train to school every day on their own, of course you are allowed to put her in a taxi!

My only concern would be if she was not happy with the arrangement, but assuming she is, then do it.

mumblechum Mon 22-Nov-10 11:32:36

I don't see a problem with this. We live in the sticks with no public transport and ds has been getting taxis since he was 12.

BigBadMummy Mon 22-Nov-10 11:34:53

Ask the school if they have a cab company they use (CRB checked drivers etc).

is there no other mum that could do it for you? We all have these situations from time to time so they would appreciate getting "a favour in the bank" I am sure.

How does DD feel about it?

Where would the cab wait? How would she know which one to get into?

You would need to work it all out for her, I think.

Whilst my DCs are fairly independent I think my 12 year old would need quite a bit of reassurance about the logistics.

gorionine Mon 22-Nov-10 14:56:27

Thank you all! I appreciate all imputsmile

Jas, DD goes on her own in bus in the morning but tomorrow she has to stay longer and there will be no more buses from arround the school which is why I have a problem.

Also, she is not jumping with joy at the idea of it which makes me really doubt the idea is good even though it is so far the only idea I have got.

BigBadMummy, I like the idea of the CRB checked taxi, I will investigate as I had not thought about it. I would ask another parent if I only new them. I knew all the parents in primary school but since she started high school I had no opportunity to meat any of her new friends parents and none of her friends I know the parents of have to stay late on that particular occasion.

Mumblechum, I know it is stupid but I think I might be less worried if she was a boy.

northerngirl41 Tue 23-Nov-10 20:41:46

Ask the cab company for a woman driver. Make sure that they have a code word/your name for DD when she gets in the car so she knows she is getting in the right one. Tell her to stand well back and ask the driver for confirmation of the name/codeword before getting into the cab. Make sure you know when she should be with you and that you pick her up from the cab.

Should be fine.

ItalianLady Tue 23-Nov-10 20:44:25

Not something I would do but then I don't have an 11 year old and can't imagine my currently 9 year old son would be happy in a taxi alone in 2 years, or me letting him.

What do the other parents do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now