Talk

Advanced search

scraped fellow mother's car and she thought I was doing a runner

(8 Posts)
elgnil Mon 15-Nov-10 19:07:02

Help please. I think the answer involves flowers.

I was late for school run today in the afternoon. I pulled in with music blaring and thought "oh what was that hope that was kerb better check", finally parked, got out, realised very late indeed. decided had better get child first.

Got back to find indignant lady whose car I had scraped. She lives on the street so I suspect it wasn't the first time. Her neighbour had written down my reg.

It didn't go too badly. I said sorry. She said her neighbour was under the impression I was about to drive off. I said sorry again and indicated that I'd not chosen a very good way of doing a runner as I was parked next to her car..... she told me that if people cause accidents they should report them.... I said sorry again and offered my details. She said she didn't want them as her car was old. I said she didn't have to make a decision on that right now. I apologised again. so the watching public were relatively disappointed in their expectations of a scene.

Anyway, grim. Interesting to find out what it's like to be one of the despised ones, rather than a model citizen. Will make me think twice about telling people to pick up their dog poo etc, as it was all quite humiliating. When panicking, I find faces go all blurry so I'm not sure if I will recognise her or which one her house is. But assuming I can figure this out, is the appropriate course of action to deliver a bunch of flowers with a a simple note saying "please accept my apologies for yesterday's incident"? I don't want to start excusing myself for going to get my child first so I want to keep it simple. I also just want to apologise, because everyone has to apologise sometimes, and then I will expect her to treat me as a normal person if I come across her through school.

southeastastra Mon 15-Nov-10 19:09:01

i'd leave it personally

EnnisDelMar Mon 15-Nov-10 19:10:10

Did you actually explain why you had gone to get your child first?

If not I think you need to make it clear you were going to own up all along, though hard to prove now, that';s really bad luck for you sad

How embarrassing.
I think the flowers are a good idea butt hey might make it look like you were guilty all along which you weren't - we all make mistakes, but not all of us admit them.

scurryfunge Mon 15-Nov-10 19:12:04

I think a bunch of flowers would be a lovely gesture. She sounds reasonable if she is not bothering to claim for the scratch from you.

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Nov-10 19:13:38

yes, i think it would be lovely to take some flowers round

elgnil Tue 16-Nov-10 09:53:43

thank you, I appreciate your advice.
I have found out her address.
hope I can present the flowers then run away quickly. shame it isn't summer as could then leave them outside door. But frosted flowers doesn't quite say it, do they?

BigWelt Wed 17-Nov-10 12:14:45

Would be better all round if you sold your car and gave up driving. Its people like you who ruin it for everyone else

EnnisDelMar Wed 17-Nov-10 13:25:47

Oh get lost Bigwelt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now