Talk

Advanced search

shall I blow out the photographer?

(4 Posts)
igetmorelovefromthecat Sun 07-Nov-10 23:15:31

I have a 3 month old and a 6 year old, both girls, and when DD1 was a baby I did the Cherubs baby photo scheme, where a local photographer takes pics of the baby at 3 different sittings during the first 18 months of baby's life. At the end you get a leather triple frame with your chosen photo from each sitting, for free, except for £20 registration fee you pay at the start. The photos were lovely and I ended up buying quite a few extra ones, I can't remember how much they were but they can't have been that dear as I was really skint back then and wouldn't have bought them if they were that expensive.

Anyway, now I have DD2 and wanted to get some pics done of her. Looked at Cherubs website and found the most local photographer who participates in the scheme (I have moved since DD1 did hers). Took both DDs to the sitting, he said he was happy to take pics of them both together and individually. I thought if I got some nice pics of the two of them that would be my parents sorted for Christmas!

All went fine, I think he probably got some good shots. At the end he arranged a time for me to go and see him to view the pics and choose which I would like to buy, and gave me a price list. Looked at it when I got home and nearly passed out, just a plain print, no frame or anything, is £42 for the smallest size, and a canvas which is what I really wanted starts at £345 for the smallest size!

In a nutshell, I think his prices are way too much, and I wouldn't be able to afford to buy many this close to Christmas....also then I would have to go to 2 more sittings with him to complete the Cherubs scheme and buy more expensive prints. So shall I phone/email him and explain that I am very sorry but I thought that his prices would be along the same lines of the photographer I used for DD1? And then go and use DD1's photographer and start again with the scheme? (bit of a drive now I have moved but still do-able). Or would that be really rude and I should just stick with this guy even though he is so expensive?

rockinhippy Mon 08-Nov-10 13:56:52

Yes, bin him, but check the current price list of you're old photographer & then let him know why, with price a comparison, it gives him the opportunity to offer a price match & if he doesn't then its his loss.

As a professional, he should of made sure you understood his pricing policy before you started, especially as it sounds from your post as if he is so much more expensive than other local photographers

Towatessa Thu 11-Nov-10 21:43:00

Provided you didn't sign anything, there is no reason you should stick with this guy. You are being more than fair by even thinking of telling him why you wouldn't be buying from him, a lot wouldn't bother.

thisisyesterday Thu 11-Nov-10 21:53:12

i think you need to check out his terms and conditions, it might say something like if you don 't purchase anything you'll have to pay for the sitting or something

really the onus is on you to check prices beforehand i think...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: