Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What happened to the BBC Parenting Magazine??

(9 Posts)
persil Wed 03-Aug-05 22:28:25

Please help.
I used to get a really good magazine which was produced by the BBC called Parenting I think. It seems to have been discontinued, can anyone confirm this and if so recommend a new title for me to read...
I liked the fact that it did not cover pregnancy or birth (which I am now past) and was practical, witty and informative - I find the magazine Junior a bit pretentious
Thanks

TwinSetAndPearls Wed 03-Aug-05 22:52:17

I am sure i have seen it, unless it was an old copy.

I used to get Right Start Magazine when I went to tumbletots which is also for sale in Smiths. THis was similar.

saadia Wed 03-Aug-05 23:29:36

I got the BBC one a couple of times but haven't seen it around for ages, apart from Junior can't think of any others past the preg/birth stage.

Frieda Wed 03-Aug-05 23:59:46

Hi persil

BBC parenting folded last year (November was the last issue, I think). I heard it was something to do with new BBC policy only to publish magazines which were directly related to telly programming. Totally agree it's a real shame as it was just about the only one that went beyond about 2 years and didn't have all that pregnancy stuff the others seem to. Definitely a gap in the market there!

persil Thu 04-Aug-05 07:04:10

Hmmm, think I will try and find Right Start.

edam Thu 04-Aug-05 07:53:25

It's a gap in the market because unfortunately not many people were buying it.

aloha Thu 04-Aug-05 08:09:03

It was closed because the BBC was forced to shut down or sell off a lot of its magazines basically by the government - they were not seen as relevant to the core business and the BBC is funded by licence payers etc.
Eve got sold off, while poor old Parenting was not seen as viable and was closed.

edam Thu 04-Aug-05 08:55:12

"not viable" = sold ten times less than the most popular magazine and half its nearest competitor.

aloha Thu 04-Aug-05 08:59:33

Parenting titles always really struggle. I think once you are past the total immersion stage of parenting (ie after the first six months of babyhood) you want magazines primarily for indulgence. Having said that, Parenting's circulation was going up, but obviously they were never going to outsell Heat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now