Talk

Advanced search

I think I need a parenting or self-help book to help me break the cycle

(2 Posts)
sweetnitanitro Thu 29-Apr-10 19:51:05

Right, I need to tell you all some background first- my mum is quite passive and is always doing favours for people and never complains about anything. I have been brought up to be the same way and I feel like I'm always being pushed aside or taken advantage of because I don't speak up or say no to people.

I don't want the same thing to happen to my DD. Although she is only 18mo now I really want to start thinking of ways I can prevent this happening. I don't know how (or even if) I can change my own behaviour but I am determined to help DD grow into a confident girl that can put herself first sometimes without being selfish or arrogant. Can anyone recommend a book that can give me a few pointers? TIA

BelleDameSansMerci Thu 29-Apr-10 21:18:26

There's a book called Raising Girls that might help but here is a search from Amazon which shows that book and some others which might be of interest.

I'm not totally dissimilar to you but I'm probably a lot older. I was nearly 42 when I had my DD (I'm nearly 45 now) and I think my confidence has increased as I've got older. My DD is probably a bit too confident to be honest...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: