Talk

Advanced search

What are you reading at the moment? [nosy]

(64 Posts)
MrsDanversBites Sun 25-Apr-10 18:53:13

and is it any good?

I seriuosly NEED this kind of thread for book ideasand haven't seen one for a while so...

I'll start:

Nearly finished The Little Stranger and liking it, not in a terrified way but enjoying the psychological twists nonetheless

Have nothing AT ALL to read next however

<panics>

iloveasylumseekers Sun 25-Apr-10 18:55:23

I'm currently reading Peyton Place by Grace Metalious (Virago Modern Classic - caused scandal when published in 1956).

Recently read and enjoyed Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. Miss Garnet's Angel by Sally Vickers, Home by Marilynne Robinson, and Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

iloveasylumseekers Sun 25-Apr-10 18:57:33

If you enjoyed (as I did) The Little Stranger, you could try The Seance by John Harwood, and The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale (non fiction, but reads like fiction). Both sufficiently spooky.

MrsDanversBites Sun 25-Apr-10 18:58:07

ah yes, loved Wolf Hall

<makes note of teh rest>

BertieBotts Sun 25-Apr-10 18:58:59

I am reading One Day by David Nicholls. It's good - it's about two people who meet when they are 21 and then it goes back to them one day a year for the next 20 years of their lives.

MrsDanversBites Sun 25-Apr-10 18:59:09

x post

I'll have a look at those thanks smile

janeite Sun 25-Apr-10 19:00:23

Just about to finish 'The Longest Journey In The World' about Scott's doomed Pole journey. It's brilliant.

After that I've got a Chuck Palawhat'shisname from the library (which I may love or which may freak me out) and a Dean Koontz that a colleague has loaned me and which I will probably hate.

iloveasylumseekers Sun 25-Apr-10 19:00:45

you can buy a brilliant selection of books on The Book People that has the Vickers and Patchett books, as well as The Hours (brilliant) and various other very good reads. Only £5.99 + p&p (or free if like me you're incapable of spending less than £25 on there)

CantSupinate Sun 25-Apr-10 19:02:13

Six Suspects and it is fantastic(!).

Just read The Two Minute Rule which was also unput-downable. But I suppose TTMR really spoke to me because I instantly understood, could empathise with the place and people.

VeniVidiVici Sun 25-Apr-10 19:04:44

Reading 'A Prayer For Owen Meany'

Am 250 pages in and wondering what all the fuss is about frankly

next Wolf Hall

iloveasylumseekers Sun 25-Apr-10 19:05:56

VeniVidiVici I detest John Irving and just don't get him. Completely over-rated IMO.

janeite Sun 25-Apr-10 19:06:17

Veni - I have a recent thread on Owen M. Agree that it is underwhelming overall (although bits of it are great) - would have been much better as a novella.

piscesmoon Sun 25-Apr-10 19:06:56

I'm another one reading Wolf Hall and really enjoying it.

TheFoosa Sun 25-Apr-10 19:07:08

I'm reading The Long Song by Andrea Levy, have waited ages for a library copy

I would like the new Maggie O'Farrell for my birthday

JustMyTwoPenceWorth Sun 25-Apr-10 19:08:30

kathy reichs bare bones

Flamesparrow Sun 25-Apr-10 19:10:01

Blood lines - Mark Billingham. Easy.
Succubus Dreams - Demon chick lit
Cold Comfort Farm - Good
Dice Man - All about a psychiatrist who decides to live life based on rolling a dice... early days.

duckyfuzz Sun 25-Apr-10 19:10:25

American Wife, enjoying it but finding it a bit long

AliGrylls Sun 25-Apr-10 19:13:08

Just finished reading Book of Negroes today. Everyone should read this book - it is enlightening, sad, informative and beautifully written.

SoMuchToBits Sun 25-Apr-10 19:13:20

Just started Run by Ann Patchett - too early to say whether it's any good, but I also enjoyed Bel Canto (like iloveasylumseekers)

evilgiraffe Sun 25-Apr-10 19:14:04

I'm reading Lady Chatterley's Lover at the minute - I am horrified that I've never read it before! It's pretty good, although there is more philosophical angst than I normally go for.

MrsDanversBites Sun 25-Apr-10 19:14:22

I Gave up on Owen Meany- and I NEVER give up on books

just felt you had to be a teenage boy or a Christian or preferably both to fully 'get' it

EldritchCleavage Sun 25-Apr-10 19:15:16

About to start graphic novel 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. The cover says 'Illustrated by Cliff Richards' but that can't be right.

Sample dialogue "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie with brains must be in want of more brains."

KurriKurri Sun 25-Apr-10 19:20:22

I got a bag of books for £4 from a library sale yesterday. Amongst others I've got The Quincunx by C. Palliser, Spanky by Christopher Fowler, the Book of Secrets by M.G. Vassangi and Watch Me Disappear by Jill Dawson.I will start one tonight, but I'm not sure which one I'll go for. Any recommendations?

iloveasylumseekers Sun 25-Apr-10 19:27:17

My husband raves about The Quincunx but I haven't read it. Don't know the others.

InThisSequinBraYesYouOlaJordan Sun 25-Apr-10 19:28:30

I have just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett which is fab and then also The sadness of happiness by Anne Giardini, it was okay-ish, liked the first half better. I am reading the Finest Type of English Womanhood by Rachel Heath which I am enjoying a lot. I have Hearts and Minds next, and have just ordered Wolf Hall, David Nicholls' novel prior to One Day(can't remember the name), Juliet Falling by Nick Hornby, Long Song by Andrea Levy and the new Phillipa Gregory (The White Queen?) from Amazon.

I keep a list each January onwards of every book I read so that if I like an author I know who they are (I also give them a mark out of ten *geek emoticon* ) Over the last year I have read a lot of and loved:

Patrick Gale
Andrea Levy
Phillipa Gregory
Kate Atkinson
Curtis Sittenger

I get loads of recommendations from here, so keep 'em coming!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: