Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendations: 4 year-olds and 8 year-olds

(10 Posts)
OldieMum Tue 19-Jul-05 10:41:32

The two DDs of a friend of mine will have their fourth and eighth birthdays soon. Could anyone recommend some books that they think they might like, for me to give them as birthday presents (separately, of course!)?

tamum Tue 19-Jul-05 11:01:53

Hello Oldiemum, haven't seen you for ages

My dd is 7 and loves books by Gwyneth Rees, like Mermaid Magic. Unfortunately they look rather trashy, but are quite well-written, and good at dealing with real-life situations through metaphor. She's a child psychiatrist and it shows in the writing I think. (GR, not my dd, obviously). Might be slightly young for an 8 year old if she's very sophisticated though. Molly Moon is another one we've been reading, that would be worth a look too.

For the 4 year old, hmm. I have to say that Angelina Ballerina was the big star in dd's life when she was that age.

tamum Tue 19-Jul-05 11:09:15

Just realised I was thinking only of modern books- actually, for the 8 year old I would think about anything by Noel Streatfeild, Anne of Green Gables, What Katy Did and so on.

Maybe Shirley Hughes or My Naughty Little Sister for the 4 year old if she doesn't already have loads?

Listmaker Tue 19-Jul-05 11:26:14

My 7 year old dd loves Jaqueline Wilson , Roald Dahl, Goosebumps books etc. She also loved The Secret Garden and The Little Princess by Frances Hodges-Burnett.

5 year old loves Sophie stories by Dick King-Smith but also Roald Dahl and Jaqueline Wilson.

MamaMaiasaura Tue 19-Jul-05 12:29:20

Our Twitchy - Kes Gray * Mary McQuillan - lovely story about a bunny who's mum is a cow and dad is a horse.

Little Zeb books - Gorgeuos and Happy - Caroline Castle and Sam Childs
All about a baby Zebra and its mummy ands friends. Really lovely stories with good messages

Badness for Beginners Ian Whybrow and Tony Ross. A very funny sotry about a family of bad wolves and one of them isnt too good and being bad. Very funny

Brave Bitsey and The bear - Anglea McAlister and Tiphanie Beeke. Sweet story with good moral thread and also lovely pictures

The Whisperer - Nick Butterworth. Really good book - one of his latest all about cats and opens questions re doesnt mater what people look like etc.

Sheesh list is endless - we love books here. All the above are good snuggle down bedtime reads. LOts of lovely pictures too and opportunity to do different voices etc

MamaMaiasaura Tue 19-Jul-05 12:30:10

My list is more for 4 year old tho - as mine is 5

MarsLady Tue 19-Jul-05 12:38:38

The Kiss that missed!

MamaMaiasaura Tue 19-Jul-05 12:46:10

marslady - what is it about I so love books

Berries Tue 19-Jul-05 20:02:36

My nearly 8 yr old (Yr3) loves the 'rainbow fairies' books, as do many girls in her class. Tends to appeal to the 'girly girls' though. Would be slightly careful with Jaqueline Wilson as she writes for a wide range of ages & some of the themes are definately aimed at older kids (teenager). The suitcase kid went down well, the illustrated mum didn't.
Any of the animal ark books are usually well recieved, plus Horrid Henry! If they have any interests (riding/ballet etc) you can usually get 'presentation' style books for those (quite often in the discount shops!!)
Can't remember what they were reading at 4, but think Shirley Hughes books were still liked at that age (but read to, not read by themselves). Also, fairy sticker books (M&S used to do a good one- not sure if they still do)

Enid Tue 19-Jul-05 20:14:29

Naughty amelia jane a good one for 4 year olds

also Wind in the Willows for either age

Clarice Bean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now