Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody else read the Turnham Malpas books by Rebecca Shaw?

(18 Posts)
PixieOnaLeaf Sat 06-Feb-10 22:54:13

Message withdrawn

GeeWhizz Sun 07-Feb-10 20:38:59

No, I have read some of them as well.

I am 33 years old.

careergirl Sun 07-Feb-10 21:44:43

I've read all of them and enjoyed them too. Some of them are actually quite dark under the twee image!
She has written another series set around a veterinary practice in the town of Barleybridge which I would recommend. The first one is called I think A Country Affair

BuwchBywiog Mon 08-Feb-10 00:27:29

I've read most of them as well as some of the Barleybridge ones and I'm only 31 if that makes you feel better. I love them too

I'm in my mid 40s, and I love Rebecca Shaw's novels - in fact, I am rereading them (out of order) again at the moment.

I'm not sure I'd want to live in Turnham Malpas though - the village school sounds good, as long as the headteacher isn't dabbling in witchcraft, the village store sounds good but expensive, and it sounds as if the two good senior schools locally are independant/private. They do seem to have lots of good parties, but a lot of crime too, for such a small village - the odd murder, lynch mobs, kidnapping.

And I am so cross about what happened to Muriel and Ralph - I won't say any more in case anyone hasn't read the last couple of books.

Jux Mon 08-Feb-10 09:46:57

Never heard of her. What are the books like/about etc?

They are about the village of Turnham Malpas and the villagers who live there. People like Jimbo Charter-Plackett, who, with his wife Harriet, owns and runs the very classy village store, where everyone goes to gossip, and Muriel, a lovely elderly lady living alone after the death of her mother, who finds romance late in life. Then there's the handsome and charismatic vicar Peter, and his wife Caroline, whose marriage is rocked by scandal. Later on, the Big House is bought by Craddock Fitch, who gets all the villagers backs up, but starts to win them round somewhat. There's also ex union man Sir Ron, and his brassy wife Lady Sheila, chair of the local WI.

The village abounds in gossip and gossips, goings on, dark happenings, great parties, skinnydipping for charity and even a ghost dog.

Sorry - should have added that the first book in the series is "The New Rector". If you like these books, there are plenty of them (10+, I think) and, as someone else has said, there's the Barleybridge vet series too, which I like, but not as much as the Turnham Malpas ones.

Jux Mon 08-Feb-10 11:15:15

Thanks, they sound fun.

I'm always looking for new authors, but can't really afford new books so I look in charity shops for authors other people have mentioned. Then if I like them I know I can buy them new, iyswim. I hate spending money on a new book and finding it's really terrible! (I still resent Victoria Hislop after wasting my money getting her book new, and it turning out to be the ruination of a damn good story!)

GeeWhizz Mon 08-Feb-10 11:56:28

They always have them in the library.

I've read the Barleybridge series as well.

I might have a look in the library on Saturday to see if they have any I haven't read.

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 11-Feb-10 18:05:23

Message withdrawn

PoohBear26 Tue 16-Feb-10 23:39:46

Yep, I've read some and have more to read - I'm actually half way through one now, but have got distracted with Rachael Hore's The Memory Garden.

Oh, I'm 27!!!

Oumasrusks Sat 20-Feb-10 07:12:26

I've read both series and I'm 33. I started reading them in my mid-20s.

Keziahhopes Mon 22-Feb-10 01:24:13

They sound a bit similar to books by Miss Read (set in 1950s), Gervaise Phinn's books and Jack Sheffield's books (latter two based on education and villagers). Might look in library too.

CrochetGirl Mon 08-Mar-10 20:34:15

I've got the entire Turnham Malpas series and I love them - I haven't finished them though, but now I'm dying to know what happens to Muriel!

hartleybird Fri 01-Jul-11 15:05:35

Just incase anyone wants the list of the Series. It does help to read them in order, but not essential. Theyre great easy read novels..
Tales from Turnham Malpas
1. The New Rector (1994)
2. Talk of the Village (1995)
3. Village Matters (1996)
4. The Village Show (1997)
5. Village Secrets (1998)
6. Scandal in the Village (1999)
7. Village Gossip (1999)
8. Trouble in the Village (2000)
9. A Village Dilemma (2002)
10. Intrigue in the Village (2003)
11. Whispers In The Village (2005)
12. A Village Feud (2006)
13. The Village Green Affair (2008)
14. The Village Newcomers (2010)
15. A Village Deception (2011)

Jreng27 Sun 03-Jul-11 22:29:27

Enjoyed them all - good comfort reading!

CocktailQueen Sun 03-Jul-11 22:45:22

Yep, but wouldn;'t recommend them - just like candy floss- as soon as you've finished reading them you forget what they were all about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now