Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any suggestions for similar books?

(17 Posts)
dizzymama Tue 28-Jun-05 19:55:05

Hi all, I need more books! I love thrillers, murder mysteries and anything along The Da Vinci Code lines..... any ideas? I hate not having a book to read and need to stock up for holidays too {smile]

dizzymama Tue 28-Jun-05 19:55:24

Sorry, that should be

Tissy Tue 28-Jun-05 20:00:16

What sort of Murder Mysteries do you like? Modern day police procedural stuff, old-fashioned Hercule Poirot gentleman detective type, historical?

dizzymama Tue 28-Jun-05 20:03:00

More modern day really Tissy. Love Sue Grafton, Linda Fairstein etc

Milliways Tue 28-Jun-05 20:12:08

I am reading "The Rule of 4", which is along same lines as DaVinci Code, not as fast paced but intelligent historical code breaking by modern day students.

dizzymama Tue 28-Jun-05 20:17:08

Brilliant, I'll start my list with that one Milliways. Have almost finished reading Adept by Robert Finn, also similar to Da Vinci if anyone is interested!

Oliviab Tue 28-Jun-05 20:55:41

If you like comedy mysteries, try the 'Cagney & Lacey in corsets' books by Fidelis Morgan. Laugh out loud funny and excellent plots set in 17th century London with regular characters and really interesting period details. The first one is called Unnatural Fire.
I've only got one more book to go, I should slow down so I don't have so long to wait until she writes another. I always go mad when i find someone I like.

WigWamBam Tue 28-Jun-05 20:57:27

I like Peter Robinson and Peter Lovesey for thrillers/crime novels.

dizzymama Tue 28-Jun-05 20:58:04

Same here Oliviab! I read every work by an author I can and then go cold turkey! Cagney and Lacey in corsets sounds incredibly....bizarre!!!!

dizzymama Tue 28-Jun-05 21:00:26

WWB have just searched on amazon for those authors and they sound like exactly the sort of thing I like to read. Thank you, my holiday will be packed with good reads x

LunarSea Wed 29-Jun-05 11:12:31

Oliviab - if you like that type of historical comedy mystery, have you tried the Falco series by Lindsey Davis?

Oliviab Wed 29-Jun-05 16:50:02

I've read the first few and adore that man but he's someone I'd like to string along slowly so he doesn't get too bigheaded
BTW the Cagney & Lacey in corsets books are being made into a series by Celia Imrie from Acorn Antiques! Can't wait.

charleepeters Wed 29-Jun-05 16:51:53

Anytign by James Patterson or Martina Cole there both great authors i have read all there books and there all great.

Pruni Wed 29-Jun-05 16:52:22

Message withdrawn

Oliviab Wed 29-Jun-05 16:58:10

Oh I also read a Sparkle Hayter book as recommended somewhere on the subject of funny murders - very funny, very peculiar - a werewolf lovestory murder mystery!

Flamesparrow Wed 29-Jun-05 17:36:05

Mark Billingham is your basic murderer hunter detective - easy reads.

Tess Gerritsen ones are good easy reading too - normally medical murder thrillers. (Don't go for "In their footsteps" though - awful)

Neither are particularly deep or brain stimulating like DaVinci, but good easy summer reads.

dizzymama Wed 29-Jun-05 18:28:55

Flamesparrow, that's what I want, no brain work necessary!
Thanks for all the authors ladies, keep them coming please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now