Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any other Jasper Fforde fans?

(15 Posts)
Kaloki Sat 07-Nov-09 21:22:41

Currently re-reading ^Well of Lost Plots^, and am currently saving up to buy the Nursery Crimes Division books. Got a little hooked on his writing after reading ^The Big Over Easy^

What do you prefer, the Thursday Next novels, or the NCD ones?

CMOTdibbler Sat 07-Nov-09 21:25:58

Me ! I prefer Thursday Next, but only marginally.

nymphadora Sat 07-Nov-09 21:31:49

Thursday Next!

I love them, its one of the things I bonded with my now DH over. we were the only other people that we had met who had read them not recommended by ourselves (IYSWIM!)

Dh saw Jaspar Fforde at Hay and said he was really good. I had to stay with the kids in the rain and floods (it was the awful rainy year)

JackieNo Sat 07-Nov-09 21:40:55

Me - I love them too. I think I prefer THursday Next, but not by much. I keep havingn to buy new copies of 'The Eyre Affair' because I keep telling people they need to read it, and lending it to them and not getting it back!

Heated Sat 07-Nov-09 21:46:01

Love Jasper Fforde's writing; I reread all his novels at least twice a year. Gave me a new perspective on Hamlet too!

roisin Sat 07-Nov-09 21:55:09

Dh and ds1 love them, but I've tried a couple, and don't liked them at all.

Which would you say is the best to convince a sceptic?

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 07-Nov-09 21:58:36

yes! me! ive read them all - they actually get better and funnier along the way...has anyone read the brand new one out? "first among sequels"...very good!

am having a bit of a jasper withdrawal at the mo...

Kaloki Sat 07-Nov-09 22:24:57

I'm waiting to read all the ones I have now, think I've got Something Rotten to read next, then I'll be treating myself to the new one. I marginally prefer the NCD ones, but it's more because I was brought up near Reading, so the idea of nursery rhyme characters living there amuses me.

Do you know which one's you've tried Roisin?

roisin Sun 08-Nov-09 09:57:23

I looked at the Eyre Affair certainly. I can't remember which other.

Kaloki Sun 08-Nov-09 14:37:55

For me I found the Big Over Easy to be a good one to start on

JANEITEluddite Sun 08-Nov-09 16:05:22

I've read a few Thursday next ones and one of the Nursery Crimes ones. I liked the Thursday Next ones better but didn't 'really' like them iykwim. I thought he was a bit too wrapped up in himself in an 'aren't I finny and clever' way and it all got a bit trying.

Igglybuff Sun 08-Nov-09 19:42:51

Am a fan. I prefer Thursday next myself. I've not managed to convince DH though...

JANEITEluddite Sun 08-Nov-09 21:01:41

Finny? I meant 'funny' of course. blush

Poiparcel Sun 08-Nov-09 21:17:32

I'm going to vote for the Nursery Crimes as my favorite, though I read them before the Thursday next volumes, I re-read them in a different light afterwards.

stealthsquiggle Sun 08-Nov-09 21:19:59

I prefer Thursday Next, I think - marginally. DH likes them too and I think between us we have them all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now