Talk

Advanced search

Cant find my old thread but wanted to say thankyou!

(4 Posts)
chegirl Fri 06-Nov-09 23:18:01

I started a thread a while back asking for help to get me reading again after the loss of my DD. Concentration rubbish, motivation rubbish etc but desperately missed reading.

So many people gave me ideas and suggestions and I have been doing really well.

I started with something easy

Weapons of Mass (something or other I forget). The last Adrian Moles. It was hilarious (IMO) and v.easy to read. A bit of a cop out but at least it got me going.

I have also read Frost in May - Antonia White. Loved it.

Brief Lives - Anita Brooker. Tricked myself into reading it because I thought it would be set between the wars - safe bet for me. It wasnt but I bloody loved it. Not sure why. It did verge on the flowery once or twice but I loved the writing.

Re read Our Spoons Came From Woolworths - Barbara Comyns because I just cant get enough of her. The best ever.

I have Miss Pettigrew and The Salterton Trilogy waiting for me. I also dug out Not so Quiet by Helen Zenna Smith (aka Evadne Price) from my loft. It is a wonderful book set in WW1. I highly recommend it. It was written in 1930 and was originally supposed to be a 'witty' reposte to All Quiet on the Western Front but Price was having none of it and wrote the story of women ambulance drivers instead.

Sincere thanks to everyone who took the time to encourage me to start reading again. It really gave me the push I needed.

I am still open to suggestions grin

JANEITEluddite Fri 06-Nov-09 23:20:53

Oh I remember your thread and I'm so glad you found some enjoyment in the books.

cyteen Fri 06-Nov-09 23:23:21

I didn't read your original thread but I am also delighted you're back into books again I found it very stop-and-start after my brother died, the concentration thing was a real issue.

Not sure what you're into but have you read Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady? It always makes me laugh.

chegirl Fri 06-Nov-09 23:28:40

Thanks for remembering Janeite smile

cyteen I think I heard that on Radio 4 maybe? It was hilarious. I am going to order it. (no stopping me now hey?) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now