Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone remember the title/author

(10 Posts)
Hullygully Fri 06-Nov-09 17:24:23

of a virago modern classic about a teacher whose son returns to live with her with his feckless pregnant girlfriend. Slowly, the woman comes to love the child and look after it and then lives in fear of the daughter in law taking it away? Lent it to someone years ago and am desperate to get another copy...

KurriKurri Fri 06-Nov-09 21:07:14

i don't know the book, but there's is a list here of Virago Modern Classics if that is f any use to you www.librarything.com/wiki/index.php/User:Christiguc

RosieMBanks Sat 07-Nov-09 10:18:22

I think this might be 'Her Son's Wife' by Dorothy Canfield?
link

Hullygully Sat 07-Nov-09 11:09:34

Thanks Rosie - that's it.

RosieMBanks Sat 07-Nov-09 13:24:43

Glad it's the one you wanted - a very good book - I read it over the summer.

Hullygully Sat 07-Nov-09 15:01:19

And thanks Kurri for the list.

Rosie - I think about it often, such a clever exploration of moral dilemmas...anything else you'd recommend having liked this? (Am always on the look..)

KurriKurri Sat 07-Nov-09 15:57:42

You're welcome - I like the sound of your book, will be looking out for it in the library smile

RosieMBanks Sat 07-Nov-09 16:50:16

That Virago list is great Kurri.
Hullygully - Have you read 'The Home-Maker' by the same author, published by Persephone Books - using her married name, Dorothy Canfield Fisher? If not, it's excellent.
link It's No 7 on their list.
Persephone have lots of books that might interest you, and they do book tokens...an ideal present to request for Christmas!
This blog is really interesting including a review on this page of 'Her Son's Wife'.link

RosieMBanks Sat 07-Nov-09 17:06:37

P.S. One other recommendation - this is excellent, and just re-issued by Virago - 'The Tortoise and the Hare' by Elizabeth Jenkins. link

Hullygully Sat 07-Nov-09 17:52:35

Okay, I've ordered both those...anything else comes to mind, let me know. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now