Talk

Advanced search

No Name by Wilkie Collins

(10 Posts)
shandyleer Thu 29-Oct-09 21:30:21

Has anyone read this, and if so, what did you think? It's next in my "to read" pile but not sure I'm in the right mood for it!

fizzpops Thu 29-Oct-09 21:39:06

I read it years ago and from what I can remember I was a bit disappointed with it compared to the more well known books.

I would probably give it another go though as I really couldn't give you a clue about what happened so at least it would all be new(ish)!

shandyleer Thu 29-Oct-09 21:44:35

Thank you Fizz. Think I might relegate it to the middle of my pile and attack it when I'm feeling more enthusiastic. I'm in the mood for something lighthearted at the moment I think!

FlyingMonkey Fri 30-Oct-09 09:19:50

I've read it last year and quite enjoyed it although it does stretch the boundaries of credibility at times - some of the events are ridiculously far-fetched even for Collins. It's not as good as The Moonstone or The Woman in White but still worth a read. I would also recommend Armadale.

fizzpops Fri 30-Oct-09 12:28:59

Definitely agree with the recommendation for Armadale - parts of that a bit farfetched but he gets away with it (just about!). 'Tisn't a particularly cheery tale - are any of them though...

PrincessFiorimonde Fri 30-Oct-09 22:46:59

I'm another one agreeing it's worth a read, tho' not as good as WinW or Moonstone and it's certainly not v lighthearted. I've not read Armadale.

Maybe if you wanted something in a not-too-different genre, but easier going, you could try Mary Braddon's 'Lady Audley's Secret'? (Don't know what others here might think.)

fizzpops Fri 30-Oct-09 23:16:01

Ooooh that looks like a good one - added to my Amazon wishlist. Thanks Princess!

Would also be interested to hear from anyone else who has read it.

shandyleer Sat 31-Oct-09 02:06:44

Will try that Princess, thank you. I started No Name today, despite not feeling very enthusiastic, but have to say, so far so good (have only read first 20 pages or so though!).

cathcat Sat 31-Oct-09 02:20:17

I have read No Name and remember it being very long but enjoyable.

shandyleer Mon 02-Nov-09 18:33:39

Am enjoying No Name now although its definitely a case of "use 20 words where 1 will do". Still, that's the nature of the beast I guess. I've also just ordered Lady Audley's Secret so thanks for that suggestion Princess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now