Talk

Advanced search

Ben Elton he's has read them all, now what?

(9 Posts)
mumski Mon 26-Oct-09 16:13:47

Got non bookish DP to read Ben Elton. He loved them and read them all in a matter of weeks. But now he's looking for some thing else probably a similar style. On the basis of striking while the iron is hot has anyone any suggestion? grin

MrsTittleMouse Mon 26-Oct-09 16:15:54

Similar style is the blokie who used to be Kriten (sp?) on Red Dwarf - richard llewelyn? I've read a couple of his and they are a good romp. Also Hugh Laurie wrote something about arms dealers that was good.

slowreadingprogress Mon 26-Oct-09 16:17:25

Well it's not the same, much more gentle but he could try PG Wodehouse. Very easy to read for non bookish people but genuinely funny. I got hooked onto them by my dad when I was 12 and the books have come with me ever since smile The Jeeves books are best to start with imo though he wrote loads of other stuff

though I realise this may be too different from what he's just read and maybe a bit too 'period'

MrsTittleMouse Mon 26-Oct-09 16:19:27

Found it! It's "The Gun Seller".

And it's Robert Llewelyn, not Richard. Doh!

browntrout Mon 26-Oct-09 16:53:46

Stephen Fry? His stuff is quite entertaining and ideal for someone who doesn't want anything too involved. Quite funny in places.

mumski Mon 26-Oct-09 19:19:55

Just had a great time on amazon looking at all you suggestions. Thanks so much everyone there are some great ideas here. Suspect I will be unable to put them down too them once he has read them smile

bloss Mon 26-Oct-09 19:41:48

Message withdrawn

BelfastBloke Mon 26-Oct-09 22:25:24

The best Terry Pratchett to start with is one that is set in the real(ish) world rather than his fantasy worlds. Get the brilliant 'Good Omens', co-written by Neil Gaiman.

wrongsideof40 Tue 27-Oct-09 23:34:17

Christopher Brookmyre ? Boiling a Frog is great............

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now