Talk

Advanced search

We need to talk about Kevin

(18 Posts)
emkana Thu 09-Jun-05 20:02:50

Has anybody read this?

I would really like to talk about this as I found it absolutely fascinating.

Don't want to start though because I don't want to spoil it for anybody.

So anybody up for an exchange of views?

morningpaper Thu 09-Jun-05 20:06:39

I haven't read it but would like to.

Read some reviews/interviews and the author sounded a bit ... weird.

Mind you, who'd called their DAUGHTER Lionel?

I'll read it and then get back to you...

FrenchGirl Thu 09-Jun-05 20:06:56

haven't read it but have just read an article about it and thought I'd probably want to read it! Not much help, sorry....

emkana Thu 09-Jun-05 20:07:30

It's even weirder - the woman decided as a teen to call herself Lionel, before she was called something normal.

Yes, please do!

JoolsToo Thu 09-Jun-05 20:10:58

I'm about half way through it - in fact I quoted from it on - the 'Bree' thread today

so far, very good - there are lots of things that mners would find to discuss between the pages

emkana Thu 09-Jun-05 20:12:47

Oh, please let me know when you've finished! Am dying to discuss it with somebody, but you really need to have read it all...

JoolsToo Thu 09-Jun-05 20:49:33

will do - didn't know Lionel was a 'she'

snafu Thu 09-Jun-05 20:52:05

Apparently she called herself Lionel because she thought that 'men have it better'. Hmmmm.

I'm sure there's another thread on her somewhere (not terribly complimentary iirc).

WideWebWitch Thu 09-Jun-05 20:55:01

Feel sure self actualisation is in there somewhere isn't it Snafu?

snafu Thu 09-Jun-05 20:57:32

You are, as always, totally on the ball, www

WideWebWitch Thu 09-Jun-05 20:59:10

!

marthamoo Thu 09-Jun-05 21:00:38

I thought it was brilliant - finished it last week. My copy has suggested questions in the back for book groups who are discussing it. Could start a new thread and use some of them?

marthamoo Thu 09-Jun-05 21:02:19

That article in the link does sound like American Angle though - ie., nuts!

JoolsToo Thu 09-Jun-05 21:07:48

can you wait til I've finished - please

marthamoo Thu 09-Jun-05 21:08:45

I guess I should be nice to you as I've called you old and told you to sod off today...

hurry up with it though!

JoolsToo Fri 10-Jun-05 16:08:24

thank you

I'm getting on with it but I had to check if those other boys she mentions are legit - and they sure are!

expatinscotland Fri 10-Jun-05 16:14:19

That booked depressed me to all hell.

I was so severely depressed with PND I was off my trolley on a cocktail of drugs. Even then, it's obvious to me Lionel/Margaret (she changed her name at 15) has never had a child of her own, b/c I don't think it's possible for Kevin's mum - or any mum - to honestly feel that way for her child unless she is a true sociopath. I think it's more Lionel/Margaret's disdain for having kids and for career women who do.

Ugggh. Well written, but it drained me.

JoolsToo Wed 15-Jun-05 17:32:26

I thought it was excellent - for me, though I was gripped with the story the style of writing didn't grip me iykwim?

anyway I certainly didn't twig about Franklin too absorbed in the story to speculate what he was up to although I kept wanting to hear his side of things from his own lips.

I was quite choked towards the end as well - had to swallow hard

Come on Moo - question time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now