Talk

Advanced search

A Confederacy of Dunces

(10 Posts)
SouthernMeerkat Mon 05-Oct-09 10:47:09

I am having to wade through this for my next book club book and am V close to abandoning it. Abandoning a book in the middle is one of my cardinal sins, but I really am struggling with it - please can someone explain why it's "the funniest book I've ever read", " a classic" etc and help to convince me to finish it without wanting to scream every time Ignatius opens his mouth?!

francagoestohollywood Mon 05-Oct-09 10:56:55

I read it 10 yrs ago, and I can't remember anything of this book. I remember it made me laugh - bits of it - but I wasn't particularly impressed.

dinkystinkystein Mon 05-Oct-09 11:01:06

Gets better towards the end I think. Read it a few years ago and found the first half hard work - then it seems to switch gear towards the end from memory.

Sputnik Mon 05-Oct-09 11:08:26

I read this a couple of months ago, my sister left it with me having been unimpressed with it. I loved it though, and in the second half of the book the various strands seem to come together more.
I found it funny and almost touching how you actually came to like this grotesque character (well I did anyway).
Don't rake him too seriously, would be my advice

Sputnik Mon 05-Oct-09 11:10:26

Take, even!

Sputnik Mon 05-Oct-09 11:12:30

It also has a very neat ending, in which everyone gets their just desserts.
Right, I'll stop now.

VenusInfers Mon 05-Oct-09 11:14:13

I understand where you are coming from. I loved this book but my sister, who usually shares my taste, also hated it.
I think that either you find Ignatius's self delusion and world view inherently funny or plain irritating. He is very much an anti-hero, someone it is impossible to actually like, but I love the ridiculous situations he gets himself into.
It might help you soldier on to know that the plot does all come together at the end and tie up in a neat & cunning bow.
Good luck, and I hope you get to choose the next one!

francaghostohollywood Mon 05-Oct-09 11:15:00

I'm appalled by the fact that I don't remember anything shock. Oh dear me.

MissWooWoo Mon 05-Oct-09 12:20:21

I've tried to read this twice over a span of 15 years, it wasn't so much that I didn't like it, more that I found other more gripping books to read. Sounds like I should give it another go ...

SouthernMeerkat Mon 05-Oct-09 13:34:26

Thanks everyone - I will stick with it and hope that the redemption at the end makes it worthwhile! Sputnik - I'm not taking him at all seriously, but I am just finding his pomposity and verbose pronouncements TOO much to bear and am skimming a lot of it, although I do think that some of the language is wonderful - "platonically intense" being one of my favourite oxymorons of the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now