Talk

Advanced search

Sophie Hannah - voyeuristic?

(8 Posts)
larahusky Sun 04-Oct-09 12:08:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFoosa Sun 04-Oct-09 12:10:37

I think she's quite tame compared to other crime writers

I have just read 'The Surrogate' against my better judgement, MUCH more graphic than Sophie Hannah

Bucharest Sun 04-Oct-09 12:20:26

I think she promises more than she gives (in terms of psychological thrillers).a bit like some of the Nicci French books. They start off well, and then just seem to fizzle out tbh....I thought Little Face was particularly disappointing....I expect there to be some big surprising twist in the tale, and there never is....it's always the person we thought was the baddie all along.

mosschops30 Sun 04-Oct-09 12:21:06

My mum met her on a train journey (had no idea who she was though and had never heard of her) and she gave her a signed copy of Little Face which I am about to read so cant comment.
But apparently shes very nice smile

iwascyteenagewerewolf Sun 04-Oct-09 12:22:50

I read Little Face and found it quite offensive because it was so badly written. If she was a more convincing writer the humiliation scenes might have been less distasteful.

larahusky Sun 04-Oct-09 12:52:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vintagepommery Sun 04-Oct-09 13:33:30

Agree with bucharest (and about Nikki French) . Have read Little Face and her book of short stories (the first of the stories was brilliant, the rest disappointing).

Don't find them so much uncomfortable reading as unconvincing reading.

She does seem to have a thing about her heroines being humiliated though...

saramoon Tue 06-Oct-09 19:17:56

Am reading her lastest book and have read them all. Little Face was the weakest definitely. I quite like them as i have never read this genre and they are easy to read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now