Talk

Advanced search

New Dan Brown?

(12 Posts)
YohoAhoy Sat 03-Oct-09 11:55:35

So, anyone read it yet?

I'm about half way through, and it's, well, ok.

I will freely, and without shame, admit that I loved Da Vinci Code. Yes it was hugely clunky, but I found the 'hidden symbolism' bits very interesting, and I do love a hearty conspiracy theory. grin

His others, not so much.

Lost Symbol, well the 'hidden symbolism' bits are still interesting, but it's definitely a case of been there, done that.

And if it's possible, the characters have even less personality than in Da Vinci!!

Anyone else?

EccentricaGallumbits Sat 03-Oct-09 12:04:04

It was shite. long winded, boring and dragged. also the plot was utterly transparent.
was most disappointed.

Tambajam Sat 03-Oct-09 12:10:49

I am sort of the same. I really enjoyed Da Vinci code. I finished this one last week and it was a bit of an effort. I ended up flicking through the last few pages as my mum told me that there was a twist - yawn.

EccentricaGallumbits Sat 03-Oct-09 12:16:58

was there a twist? must have missed that bit. i kept waiting for one but it never happened.

orangehaze Sat 03-Oct-09 12:21:22

Hello,
I thought it started ok, but then was a big pile of pants. Long winded formulaic pants. I felt cheated out of £8 from Tesco!

YohoAhoy Sat 03-Oct-09 13:38:56

I may well have just reached the twist.

I have certainly reached a bit that made me close the book with a groan.

Although I do like the odd little facts that he puts in - the Darth Vader gargoyle is particularly satisfying grin

Tambajam Sat 03-Oct-09 17:17:24

SPOILER ALERT

*DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT A GENTLE HINT ABOUT TWIST*

The twist is about the identity of the main baddie. Also made me close the book with a 'FFS'. I considered that 'twist' a cheat which required history to be rewritten and seemed implausible based on previous information not a good twist which should make you go 'ooooh, of course'.

YohoAhoy Sun 04-Oct-09 08:55:07

The bit I got to yesterday was the 'interesting' event that happened to Langdon in the basement.

By the time I got to the bit you mention, tamba, I had pretty much given up the will to live.

Funnily though, I had wondered if that might be the case, but thought it would be too improbable! Ha, that'll teach me!!

I have been enjoying a bit of Googling over the Masonic basis to Washington though, so not a complete waste grin

EverySingleStar Sun 04-Oct-09 19:52:24

Struggled. Was pissed off about the ending and the very very ending was a HUGE HUGE HUGE anticlimax.

Disappointed sad

EverySingleStar Sun 04-Oct-09 19:52:56

Should also say - I enjoyed Da Vinci Code and lurrrrrrrved Angels and Demons. Read the other two but don't remember them blush

RoseBlossoms Tue 06-Oct-09 18:19:52

complete crock, was so cross with the "twist" that i saw coming from first mention i put the book down and cant even bring myself to finish this pile of shite. Liked his others.

FourArms Sat 10-Oct-09 19:43:41

I loved some of his other books, saved this one for my holiday, and was hugely disappointed. Rubbish. Saw through the twist the first time it was mentioned. Didn't even bother bringing book back with me.. not worth passing it on. Maybe the hotel staff will have a go at it? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now