Talk

Advanced search

Please help me remember this book

(11 Posts)
MrsJellyby Sat 26-Sep-09 22:36:02

I have a huge mental blank and am trying to remember a book I read a few years ago (probably about 6 or 7 years ago). It was British, written by someone like Ian McEwan but not (I think) Ian McEwan. All I remember is that one of the themes/subthemes was a long term affair between a married man and a younger woman (who had some kind of high powered career) and she becomes pregnant to him. Towards the end of the book she goes into labour at her home, while the married man is driving towards her. The married man ends up delivering their baby in her garden. Ring any bells??

MrsJellyby Sat 26-Sep-09 22:50:44

Aargh this is a desperate bump because I know otherwise I'm not going to be able to get to sleep tonight!

MrsJellyby Mon 28-Sep-09 10:33:41

Please please please this is driving me mad! Anyone out there know what book I'm talking about? I want to recommend it to someone....

JeffVadar Mon 28-Sep-09 11:05:52

It sounds a bit like the present day element in Sebastian Faulks 'Birdsong'.

ibbydibby Mon 28-Sep-09 11:43:54

That's what I was thinking too. Loved all his books. So far!

tillyfernackerpants Mon 28-Sep-09 11:47:13

I thought Birdsong as well.

purpleduck Mon 28-Sep-09 11:54:41

Did I miss that bit in Birdsong???

grin

tillyfernackerpants Mon 28-Sep-09 12:25:43

purpleduck, apparently grin. It was right at the end

donnie Mon 28-Sep-09 18:23:10

yes, I though Birdsong too. I must admit I found the bits set in the trenches far better written!

MrsJellyby Mon 28-Sep-09 20:21:12

Yes yes yes!!!! Thank you so much, this has been driving me bonkers. It is Birdsong- I just went and checked. I honestly had no recollection of the modern bits of Birdsong. I loved the war time elements but all I was left with from the modern bits was the home birth scene.

colabottlefizzy Thu 01-Oct-09 00:05:23

I'm really shocked I don't remeber that bit either. In fact I'm really having to rack my brain to remember any of the modern parts. the trenches part but was more hard hitting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now