Talk

Advanced search

Need a book recommendation suitable for late pregnancy brain!

(13 Posts)
beanstalk Tue 22-Sep-09 20:37:05

I usually read what I consider to be "literature" (classics, Booker winners, etc) but at 38 weeks pregnant I am really struggling with concentration on anything remotely serious. So I really want a light hearted easy-read, that will take my mind off looking for signs of impending labour. Something upbeat and maybe funny that is still quite gripping so that I can get into the book quickly. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!

2to3 Tue 22-Sep-09 20:55:09

American Gods by Neil Gaiman? I'm not really the sci-fi fantasy type but I enjoyed that quite a lot.

Sidge Tue 22-Sep-09 21:23:44

Janet Evanovich
Marian Keyes

Not classics in the traditional sense but thumping good reads!

GrendelsMum Sun 27-Sep-09 22:44:21

I was ill a few years ago and for weeks could read nothing but Dick Francis - they were the only thing which was gripping enough to keep me reading but easy enough for me to follow.

Why not head down to the library, take out armfuls of easy reading, and see what takes your fancy?

janeite Mon 28-Sep-09 21:24:34

Not chick-lit, as it will depress you if you're used to reading 'good' stuff.

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day
Something by Georgette Heyer
Pride And Prejudice With Zombies
Cold Comfort Farm
Breakfast At Tiffany's
I Capture The Castle
Something silly by Evelyn Waugh: eg Vile Bodies.

MrsBadger Mon 28-Sep-09 21:41:22

Georgette Heyer

also fab while bfing

or try revisiting juvenlie fiction you loved - I am a sucker for Robert Westall

Alittleteapot Tue 29-Sep-09 10:20:19

Hello, I'm 39 weeks and in hosp awaiting labour. Also need a good book - want easyish read but not trash as read so little I want to feel I've read something good! Will check out some of these suggestions and also look out for more...

I brought Philip Roth The Human Stain in which I've been trying to read for ages. It's excellent but not quite what the doctor ordered. I need a Rose Tremain Restoration type experience....

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 29-Sep-09 10:28:16

Marian Keyes, she is brilliant.
I don't normally read chicklit but I found one in a cupboard at my friend's house and since then I've been reading all the rest (I'm 38 weeks pregnant smile).
It is chicklit but with a dark side, with much common sense and wisdom, and very very funny.

globex Tue 29-Sep-09 17:30:08

'Convalescent lit' - PG Wodehouse, the Mapp and Lucia books, Lucky Jim, Cold Comfort Farm.. what else?

MissWooWoo Thu 01-Oct-09 17:55:34

I'll second Marian Keyes. Not my usual sort of thing, infact I was really quite uppity about her books until I read one. Chick flick in words ... it just washes over you and makes you feel warm and cosy.

MissWooWoo Thu 01-Oct-09 17:58:06

'chick flick in words' erm, that'll be chicklit then blush

Kathyis12feethighandbites Thu 01-Oct-09 21:10:15

With Marian Keyes, you almost feel if the chicklit genre didn't exist (or wasn't such a huge moneyspinner) she could be writing just as a damn good comic novelist if she wanted.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 01-Oct-09 21:13:34

I'm reading 'A spot of bother' by Mark Haddon (who wrote curious incident of the dog in the night time).

It's very amusing, engaging and short chapters so a really easy read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now