Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone read "Oh Yeah Right Get a Life" by Helen Simpson?

(9 Posts)
yoyo Mon 30-May-05 11:25:02

Heard this briefly mentioned on Radio 4 yeaterday and it sounds quite interesting. Any insights?

hester Mon 30-May-05 11:30:24

I think she's a really good writer, and I enjoyed the book. It wasa slightly, erm, depressing take on motherhood, but if you're in the mood for that it's worth a look. The only other real drawback with it (for me) is that it's short stories, and they don't work very well for me as a genre. Would have preferred if she'd taken one of the stories and developed it in depth.

bakedpotato Mon 30-May-05 12:21:32

Loved it, fantastic writer, agree it's fairly depressing -- not least because it rings plenty of bells.
It's anti-escapism, IYKWIM.

hoxtonchick Mon 30-May-05 13:01:56

i read this years ago, pre-ds, maybe time to hunt it out from the bookshelves again.... she's a great writer.

motherinferior Mon 30-May-05 16:59:51

I love her.

belledejour Mon 30-May-05 22:35:01

Would recommend it, definitely. Lovely, lyrical descriptions of how living with small kids is both amazingly uplifting and mind-numbingingly boring at the same time.

bunny2 Tue 31-May-05 20:35:02

brilliant!

Marina Tue 21-Jun-05 11:48:59

I love her too. The title short story is one of the most touching and truthful I think I've ever read about being a parent. She is fabulous.

Marina Tue 21-Jun-05 11:49:21

Ohhh, hello there bakedpotato

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now