Talk

Advanced search

need a book suggestion!

(17 Posts)
milknosugarplease Tue 25-Aug-09 08:59:48

hiya, have been ready tess gerritsen's books and absolutely love them!!...only problem is i've read them all now!

love her books and bit of a chick lit fan...need a new book to read!!

any ideas?!

thank you!

arolf Tue 25-Aug-09 15:28:17

karin slaughter has some good books, set in rural Georgia, USA, as well as a couple in Atlanta (Triptych is one of the best crime books I've read)

faye kellerman writes about a male detective in LA and his wife - Jewish family, but crimes only sometimes touch on the religious aspects. I like all her books, but think The Ritual Bath is her first - the most recent one is not the best to start with, as it's a bit weaker than the others

both good female crime writers. I also like the Denise Mina books about Paddy Meehan which are set in 80s Glasgow.

OhBling Tue 25-Aug-09 15:35:17

Jill Mansell does fab chicklit. [I'm sure I heard she was a MNer. If you're here Jill, please out yourself...! grin ]

Have you tried Lee Child? Does Crime/action with a action hero called Jack Reacher.

milknosugarplease Tue 25-Aug-09 20:10:09

ooh thank you for the ideas!!...do the crime bbooks (all that have been mentioned) have and order to them?

quite excited about reading a new author!!

thank you!

milk

OhBling Wed 26-Aug-09 09:27:25

Jack Reacher can be read as standalone but in order is slightly better. I can't remember the order but Lee Child has a website and you could easily check.

rasputin Wed 26-Aug-09 09:35:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

arolf Wed 26-Aug-09 10:10:16

sorry - I thought they were quite similar to tess gerritson books though - those are not chicklit at all!

lisa gardner(?) is one I wouldn't reccomend if you didn't like karin slaughter though rasputin - her books are even more graphic, and I found myself stopping reading them quite early on.

rasputin Wed 26-Aug-09 10:11:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HAVE you read the Patricia Cornwell books?

arolf Wed 26-Aug-09 10:20:02

oh yes, I second that suggestion - the first few patricia cornwell books are good - until they become a one woman against the world crusade, which pissed me off.

Yes, probably the first 10 of her Scarpetta books are fantastic, then they start going downhill big time.

lyraSilvertongue Wed 26-Aug-09 11:00:04

I've just finished reading Vanish by Tess Gerritsen. I thought it was ok but I'm sure the plot's been done before. I did like The Bone Garden and The Surgeon though.
I would suggest The Host by Stephenie Meyer (Twilight author). This one's an adult book and it's very good.

I've also just read Sworn To Silence by Linda Castillo and really enjoyed it. About a female police chief tracking down a serial killer in an Amish community.

arolf Wed 26-Aug-09 13:44:53

forgot to add - Kathy Reichs - she writes about a female pathologist too, and her books are pretty good - although they are veering towards the 'one woman crusade against the world' the further the series gets. check amazon/wikipedia for the order of the books in each case milk!

snice Wed 26-Aug-09 13:53:33

How about Nikki French?

milknosugarplease Wed 26-Aug-09 22:09:42

hellooo and thank you!

have found a few karin slaughter books hidden ion the depths of our bookshelves...even the covers are a bit odd!!

am going to stick with crime for the time being

i tried reading tess gerritsens the apprentice and shopoholic and baby simutaniously...it was a weird thoughts when i was tired and couldnt remember what the hell i was reading at 11pm on the way home from work!!

but rest assured i will be back to collect more ideas!!

(as a newbie to mumsnet...(i use the childminder nanny section...as im a nanny) i LOVE it!!)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dominique07 Wed 26-Aug-09 22:13:27

Phillippa Gregory's trilogy about Wideacre is fantastic. About an 18th century woman/heroine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now