Talk

Advanced search

Need a horror book club suggestion

(27 Posts)
LemonTea Mon 24-Aug-09 21:52:53

At our next book club meeting we have to suggest something from the horror genere to be our next read.
It's not something I would usually pick up so don't know where to start.

I've read Stephen King (as a teenager) and other than suggesting Bram Stoker or Mary Shelley, I'm a bit lost.

Can anyone suggest something for me?

janeite Mon 24-Aug-09 21:59:41

King's The Stand is brilliant.
A recent one which is sort of horror is The Gargoyle, which is good.
Dracula and Frankenstein are both brilliant.
King's favourite book is The Haunting Of Hill House, which may have conversation value for that reason.
Poe short stories?
Be a teenage loony and suggest Twilight?

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 24-Aug-09 22:00:41

Stephen King The Stand.
Frankenstein.

BettySwollux Mon 24-Aug-09 22:53:50

Stephen King - Thinner.
Was written under a pysudonym but I cant remember it, may have been Richard someone.

tillyfernackerpants Tue 25-Aug-09 07:57:34

Betty - Richard Bachman

Another Stephen King fan here - The Stand is excellent, The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon is a bit shorter, also Bag of Bones or Insomnia

What about Shirley Jackson - We have always lived in the castle? She also wote Hill House which Janeite suggested

LemonTea Wed 26-Aug-09 10:56:26

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll have a look at the descriptions and let you know what we decide on.

Ceasnake Thu 27-Aug-09 21:16:09

All previous suggestions seconded.

You could also try Misery (Stephen King)- as well as horror, it's very much about creativity and could generate some good discussions.

Lost Souls by Poppy Z Brite is a good choice if you like vampires.

TsarChasm Thu 27-Aug-09 21:20:54

House of Lost Souls scared me witless but I couldn't put it down.

LastTrainToNowhere Fri 28-Aug-09 00:30:13

Another vote for Stephen King, you can't go wrong with his books, especially the earlier ones. Personal favourites are Stand, It, Cujo, Needful Things and The Shining.

Turn of the Screw is very creepy.

If you want gory horror (iyswim) there's American Psycho which I'm reading for a book club. It's vile but funny at the same time. I can't read it, but I can't put it down either! Needs a very strong stomach though.

Mumcentreplus Fri 28-Aug-09 00:38:22

The Bachman Books..varied and brilliant..

but most Stephen Kings are very cool reading I loved 'Carrie' and others suggested... can't go wrong with Mr King

BitOfFun Fri 28-Aug-09 00:42:08

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman is an early feminist novella which is a horror of sorts- well worth a look.

LastTrainToNowhere Fri 28-Aug-09 02:14:50

Oh yes, The Yellow Wallpaper is decidedly spooky. It's not traditional horror though, I would liken it to the movie "The Others", if that's what you're looking for.

janeite Fri 28-Aug-09 16:31:34

The Yellow Wallpaper is fab - but not horror.

Let The Right One In is the Swedish vampire novel that inspired the recent film. Haven't seen the film but the book is really quite good.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 28-Aug-09 16:33:38

I was going to say The Haunting of Hill House too.

Otherwise, what about The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. That IS a scary book.

janeite Fri 28-Aug-09 16:48:01

Oh yes, that's a good suggestion. She has another one too about a man in a painting, which is quite fun. Can't remember what it's called though.

deaddei Fri 28-Aug-09 16:52:46

The woman in black gave me nightmares. May have to read it again!

tillyfernackerpants Fri 28-Aug-09 17:42:12

LemonTea, what did you decide on in the end?!

Litchick Fri 28-Aug-09 17:57:59

Can I suggest anything by Clive Barker. Some of his later stuff is fantasy I guess but The Books of Blood and Cabal are very scary but ludicrously well written.

FritesMenthe Fri 28-Aug-09 18:03:38

Technically a crime novel, Peter James' Dead Simple is a scary read.

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Fri 28-Aug-09 18:08:24

The Stand is good but about 6 foot thick, how long do you have to read the books?!

Comewhinewithme Fri 28-Aug-09 18:09:50

I just read The Stand really good Cell is too and not as thick .

Mumcentreplus Fri 28-Aug-09 23:54:15

I haven't finished Cell yet been meaning to..currently reading Dracula (Original)..maybe start with some classics?

janeite Sat 29-Aug-09 16:41:43

I was v disappointed by Cell.

purepurple Sat 29-Aug-09 16:45:43

janeite, me too
Wasn't it just a re-hash of The Stand, but not as good.
But I can forgive him, seeing as he was recovering from his accident.

janeite Sat 29-Aug-09 16:48:42

Yes - a re-hash of The Stand, with a touch of The Road re: the parent/child thing. Couldn't really see the point of it. And I worship at the feet of King, normally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now