Talk

Advanced search

Mike Gayle

(10 Posts)
seayork Mon 24-Aug-09 21:39:44

I am not sure if I have a more "male" type brain but I prefer modern fiction by male authors, and Mike Gayle is top!!!

EffiePerine Mon 24-Aug-09 21:40:56

well I'm with you on male authors

but NOT Mike Gayle

each to their own...

peppapighastakenovermylife Mon 31-Aug-09 20:05:20

I like Mike Gayle and male authours (Tony Parons for example) in general - for day to day fiction type things. I hate chic lit with a passion but do like more serious things like Jodi Picoult.

Always have liked Male authours but I'm not sure why. I havent really liked much of Mike Gayles latest stuff though - preferred the earlier things.

elkiedee Wed 09-Sep-09 00:49:06

I've only read his first two books but thought they were chicklit - written by a man but aimed at women. I thought they were likeable but clunkily written. I thought Tony Parsons's first novel was awful and am not likely to read another book by him - I have others by Mike Gayle on my shelves and might read them one day.

MaggieVirgo Thu 10-Sep-09 21:34:06

He deliberately writes like a woman that guy! I wouldn't actually classify him as a male writer!! but fair play, he's sold some books.

I really liked the one about a group of friends all about to turn 30.

Some of them are a bit too predictable. There was one where a man in his 30s turned out to have a teenage dd from a 1 night stand on holiday years ago. Felt like my buttons were being pressed. "shed a tear here".

MaggieVirgo Thu 10-Sep-09 21:36:05

Jonathan Topper. both of his books were excellent . if you like books written from the perspective of a man in his thirties, but issues surrounding, life and death, family relationships, romances, work, cancer scares, and a bit more, you would love Jonathan Topper, and he doesn't make you feel like you're being weak falling for a lot of ol' pony if you shed a tear.

MaggieVirgo Thu 10-Sep-09 21:37:41

How to talk to a widower
Everything changes.

MaggieVirgo Thu 10-Sep-09 21:40:31

It is Tropper , sorry.

Actually, just googled and he has loads of books, not just two. Only two available in gb & ire though. Next time I go to usa, I will be heading to a book shop, because there are a few american writers I love and only a couple of their books are released here.

TheFoosa Fri 11-Sep-09 15:07:16

if you like Tropper, you may also like Tom Perrotta

MaggieVirgo Fri 11-Sep-09 17:56:01

Thanks! will look him up now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now