Talk

Advanced search

Twilight - I finished it and...

(7 Posts)
LightShinesInTheDarkness Sat 22-Aug-09 16:42:35

..I won't be joining the Fan Club.

It had received a lot of hype, on MN and elsewhere, so I read it.

But it really is a teenagers book, I think. It all seemed a bit silly - vampires living in houses and using mobile phones. The descriptions of Edward's eye colour seemed endless and the writing repetitive. Bella just did not come to life for me and the relationship seemed to have so many elements that required such a suspension of belief, that I just could not get into the story.

Sorry, just don't get it.

Goblinchild Sat 22-Aug-09 16:44:35

We call it Vampires for Virgins fiction in this house.
All Jane Eyre palpitations and no follow-through. grin

TheProfiteroleThief Sat 22-Aug-09 16:45:43

I love how chaste it is! DD1 is counting down to Nov 20 for our first 'girly' night out!

janeite Sat 22-Aug-09 16:48:58

Vampires for virgins - spot on! The writing is diabolical and even my twelve year old said it was dull. Bella is so witless and boring.

twofalls Sat 22-Aug-09 18:55:37

I'm on to the third one because quite a few friends who views I respect tell me they are fantastic.

I am so glad I am not the only one who just doesn't get it. I just want to give Bella a great big slap.

gallusbesom Thu 27-Aug-09 19:16:45

I love them! Still want to slap Bella though!

Housemum Thu 03-Sep-09 13:24:04

I love it - yes, it's teen fiction, but the whole tense longing etc is great. Am a third of the way through Breaking Dawn now - the books are compelling. I agree they are not brilliantly written, and I do find it hard when she writes chapters from another character's viewpoint as the style doesn't change that much from when she's writing from Bella's, but I want to know how it all pans out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now