Talk

Advanced search

The Book Thief - give up or persevere?

(34 Posts)
Bumperslucious Tue 11-Aug-09 20:14:11

I'm not even half way though and I'm finding it very putdownable. Should I persevere or give up?

owlandpussycat Tue 11-Aug-09 20:16:40

I gave up on it I'm afraid, which is something I rarely do- maybe once a year.

RupertTheBear Tue 11-Aug-09 20:17:57

I loved it from the first chapter. If you don't love it yet I don't think you ever will! Give up.

BitOfFun Tue 11-Aug-09 20:17:58

It's worth persevering with, I reckon.

mazzystartled Tue 11-Aug-09 20:18:35

Bin it

Bumperslucious Tue 11-Aug-09 22:04:22

Hmmm, jury's out then. Think I'll take Rupert's advice and give up.

FlamingoBingo Tue 11-Aug-09 22:06:07

Perservere - took me ages to get into it, and then I loved it and didn't want it to finish.

Cousel Tue 11-Aug-09 22:08:50

i've read it too on recommendation from a friend, its an easy read but mediocre

surreylady Tue 11-Aug-09 22:11:09

I did finish but could easily have given up - did nothing for me

cheeseycharlie Tue 11-Aug-09 22:18:00

it's quite pants. apparently it was originally started as a children's book but grew in scope until the author decided to turn it into a full novel, which explains some of the style. you won't miss much if you give it up. or flick through to the end for highlights?
shame it's not better as you don't often get a holocaust story told from point of view of the German population. I enjoyed that aspect, but otherwise not really up to snuff

ellybett Tue 11-Aug-09 22:19:30

I read it and was totally unmoved considering the subject matter. But it's been staring at me from the bookshelf for the last couple of days demanding to be read so I'm wondering if it's one that might improve on a second go. I've been contemplating putting it in my hospital bag! But maybe I'm being a tad naive thinking I'll be in the frame of mind to read it!

MollieO Tue 11-Aug-09 22:21:56

Took me a while to get into it but read it to the end and thought it was one of the most interesting books I've read despite it being a children's book.

SixtyFootDoll Tue 11-Aug-09 22:22:03

I am reading it right now
Finding it pleasantly easy and interesting.
Not the most exciting of books, but like the quirky style.

IsItMeOr Tue 11-Aug-09 22:25:27

I'm reading this (really slowly) at the mo, and I loved the style from the start. What's the point in reading something if you don't enjoy the journey though? Find something else to read?

Didn't realise it was a children's book, but that does make sense.

Polaris Tue 11-Aug-09 22:31:22

Give it up if you don't like it as the same pace continues throughout. There isn't a climax as such.

I loved it tho and read it in days.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Tue 11-Aug-09 22:32:24

I started this, got half way through - then literally lost the book! Or maybe the Book Thief got it hmm

When it turns up again, I will probably finish it.

CoteDAzur Tue 11-Aug-09 22:34:15

It doesn't get more interesting. Are you under 15? If not, give up. Life is just too short and you will never get those hours back.

It's a book written for teenagers. ("Young adults", according to Amazon)

ClaraDeLaNoche Thu 13-Aug-09 22:11:40

CoteDAzur we meet again.

Finish it. And make sure you have tissues handy.

CoteDAzur Fri 14-Aug-09 15:41:35

LOL @ "Tissues" grin

So everyone dies. Boo hoo. I just rolled my eyes and wished they all died way earlier so I didn't have to read through 500+ pages of that drivel.

ClaraDeLaNoche Sun 16-Aug-09 12:11:33

Uh oh this may deter the OP from finishing.

CheeryCherry Sun 16-Aug-09 12:34:15

Loved it (must be a teen at heart!), one of my fave books now actually.
But perhaps if you are having such a hard time with it, maybe give up. Life's too short, plenty more books in the sea etc.

AliGrylls Sun 16-Aug-09 12:35:51

Give up - I read the first page and knew it would be rubbish. Instead read something interesting like Boy in Striped Pyjamas or Goodbye Mr Chips. Both very good books and neither suffer from the vanity of modern authors who think people actually want to read an averagely written epic.

CheeryCherry Sun 16-Aug-09 12:38:59

Boy in the striped PJs, yes twas good, v simplistic so a good youngster read. Can be read in a flash.

HarlotOTara Sun 16-Aug-09 12:45:00

Persevere, it took me a while to get into it and the style is a little odd but I enjoyed it once I got over that.

Thought 'The Boy...' was not that great, probably because from what I have read of concentration/extermination camps I know that children were not around due to be murdered as soon as they arrived. Maybe I was being to literal but it irritated me.

Flamesparrow Sun 16-Aug-09 14:12:34

I read it, but was still left a bit meh by the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now