Talk

Advanced search

Do you ever do "library book pot luck"?

(9 Posts)
wrinklytum Fri 07-Aug-09 22:48:11

We have a lovely library with great bit for children.Usually I let d dhave a good play with the toys and read her some books then go to adult serction.Trouble is dd never wants to leave the childrens bits so when I strap her back in wheelchair we get LOUD SCREECHING,so i have taken to doing library book pot luck which involves grabbing several of the nearest paperbacks off the display and checking them out as quickly as possible to stop dd assaulting the quiet of the library with her bawling.It has turned up some good,some suprising and some frankly dreadful fiction for my entertainment.

I wondered if I was the only loon to choose my reading material in this way!

Linnet Fri 07-Aug-09 22:53:23

Um, no. But my local library does a personal shopping service where if you don't have the time, due to work/children whatever or don't want to choose your own books, someone will do it for you and you just have to go in and pick them up. Maybe you could suggest it at your library.
It's quite popular, although I haven't tried it myself since I love picking my own books.

greensnail Fri 07-Aug-09 22:57:17

our library does "mystery books" - you just take an envelope with a book in it, and find out what you've got when you get home.

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Fri 07-Aug-09 23:33:42

I read your title, and thought, 'surely there is no other way with a small child in tow?'

Our (very small) library has a table of new books so I grab a couple with promising looking covers or that mention Orange or Booker on the front.

Luckily I am the type of reader who has no shame in giving up on a book after a couple of chapters if it's deathly dull I'm not enjoying it. Cause life's too short, right?

deaddei Sat 08-Aug-09 09:03:19

Our library hasjust had a refit- all self scanning which is very techno- and has now got a massive "quick choice " section. I picked up 6 books last Saturday- decided I don't like 5 of them so will take them back later this morning. Like you heathen, I won't persevere just because I think I should- there are so many books out there to read!!

Jas Sat 08-Aug-09 09:17:21

Our library also has quick pick shelves (where the books are arranged by colour of the cover).

For me, that is the point f the library. I can risk anything and take it back if I don't like it.

I do walk past the library 4 days a week, though, so know I can always change them easily.

LoveMyGirls Sat 08-Aug-09 09:25:25

I do that too. I went yesterday and literally touched 2 books from the adult section and chose the one I prefered from the 2, now I'm half way through it and quite liking it.

Flamesparrow Sat 08-Aug-09 10:38:02

Ours does a thing where they have books in paper bags - you just pick a bag and take it home to read. I've read a lot of really random books that way.

Jas Sat 08-Aug-09 18:39:48

I like the sound of the paper bag ideasmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now