Talk

Advanced search

Anyone read The Road Home? What did you think?

(7 Posts)
TuttiFrutti Fri 07-Aug-09 09:20:53

I've just finished this and really enjoyed it, although I have a few reservations. I found it hard to get into at the beginning, but one I was through the first 2 chapters I found it very compelling.

I liked Lev, but found his treatment of Eva at the end a bit hard to understand.

Has snyone else read this? What did you think?

SixtyFootDoll Fri 07-Aug-09 09:22:35

I really enjoyed it
It maade me look at economic immigrants in a different light
Was a great read
I cant remember what he did to Eav at the end though?!

TuttiFrutti Fri 07-Aug-09 09:32:16

He fancied her because she reminded him of Marina, slept with her a few times then decided she wasn't for him although she had fallen in love with him by this time and wanted to have his babies. It was the only bit of the book that made me see Lev in a less than positive light.

SixtyFootDoll Fri 07-Aug-09 11:27:16

Aahhhh yes

CDMforever Fri 07-Aug-09 22:58:32

I really enjoyed this book. Thought the characterisation was excellent. Generally love Rose Tremain's books. But her all time best IMO was Music and Silence. Very different to Road Home but beautiful all the same.
I think used Eva as part of his grieving for Marina, tho, yes it was quite harsh.

TuttiFrutti Sat 08-Aug-09 11:00:55

Thanks for the recommendation CDM, I will try Music and Silence. I read Restoration a few years back but didn't like it as much as the Road Home.

Agree characterisation was fantastic, which for me is the key to page-turnability of a book.

Badgermoose Mon 10-Aug-09 12:22:03

I loved it, but agree music and silence was even better!! She writes really well. Have got 'the way I found her' in my to read pile but keep sticking more things on top of it!
You don't think that he just couldn't bear the prospect of another heartbreak after Marina and Sophie and didn't want to inflict that on her? (I ended up with a bit of a soft spot for himgrin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now