Talk

Advanced search

Anyone interested in the Persephone Reading Week Challenge?

(8 Posts)
RosieMBanks Thu 06-Aug-09 20:51:15

Here is
the link
I plan to read Dorothy Whipple's 'They Were Sisters' and 'Making Conversation' by Christine Longford.

PeggyGuggenheim Thu 06-Aug-09 22:01:10

I spent ages poring over the Persephone catalogue the other day; so many lovely-sounding things. I'll have to see if any of them are at my library and if they are I will join you!

Have you read any Dorothy Whipple before? According to the catalogue she is far and away their best selling author, but I'd never heard of her...

JackieNo Thu 06-Aug-09 22:07:40

WHat a lovely idea. I can recommend (if you like a bit of poetry), Judith Viorst's 'It's hard to be hip over 30'.

RosieMBanks Thu 06-Aug-09 22:17:35

I haven't read that one Jackie, so many thanks for the recommendation. Peggy, I've read 'The Priory' and really enjoyed it. No, I hadn't heard of Dorothy Whipple either, but my mother remembers reading her novels in the 1940s, and rated her highly. This is an interesting article about her by Nicola Beauman, founder of Persephone Books link
Hope you have success at the library! Mine has quite a few Persephone titles, including 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for A Day' which is a favourite read.

LastTrainToNowhere Fri 07-Aug-09 00:11:07

I love the Persephone catalogue. I have been ooh-ing and aah-ing over it withing earshot of dh, I wonder if he'll take the hint hmm

IdrisTheDragon Fri 07-Aug-09 00:13:29

This sounds interesting

LastTrainToNowhere Fri 07-Aug-09 00:19:22

RosieMBanks, love the name by the way. Big fan of Wodehouse, me grin

RosieMBanks Fri 07-Aug-09 08:18:31

Oh thank you - yes, I love Wodehouse. Hope your dh takes hint - mine did once! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now