Talk

Advanced search

Guardian Weekend magazine short stories

(8 Posts)
mrsmike Mon 03-Aug-09 11:01:47

Did anyone read the Julie Myerson short story in Weekend magazine? Gosh it was bleak. Couldn't find anything uplifting in it at all, could you?

mrsmike Mon 03-Aug-09 14:07:32

Did NO ONE read this wink

yappybluedog Mon 03-Aug-09 19:27:15

must admit I did read through the list of authors 'Dave Eggers, brill, David Mitchell, fantastic... oh, Julie Myerson' grin

pofacedandproud Mon 03-Aug-09 19:32:53

I read it. I thought the central metaphor was an old one and the quality of the writing not wonderful, but it moved me. Liked some of the winning unpublished stories. Think the short stories series throughout has very patchy in quality.

SlartyBartFast Mon 03-Aug-09 19:35:27

thanks for the reminder anyway smile
thought i had read the whole magazine, but obviously hadnt read the short stories smile

mrsmike Mon 03-Aug-09 20:53:24

Sorry pofaced but what are you referring to as the central metaphor - something to do with the sea - I am quite out of practise with lit crit these days!

pofacedandproud Tue 04-Aug-09 11:12:24

the 'love is like drowning' one. smile

UnquietDad Tue 04-Aug-09 13:19:18

They always choose "the usual suspects". People who are mates of the Grauniad. It's just like the "summer recommendations" - "ooh, must plug my friends' books." hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now