Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Big gaps in reading over last 20 years - so let me have your recommendations please.

(8 Posts)
dweezle Tue 28-Jul-09 09:36:37

Used to be a voracious reader and read through the 'classics' in my teens and twenties, but then life got in the way and I really think I need a progamme of reading, something like The Times 100 books you should have read.

Please help me compile the definitive reading list...........

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Tue 28-Jul-09 09:43:31

Will watch this with interest.

TwoHot Thu 30-Jul-09 17:40:11

Have a look at Joanna Harris, she has written a fair few. Time Travellers Wife of course, BEFORE the film comes out. The Harry Potter series has been big, you cant miss that out. I wasnt keen but the Da Vinci Code was talked about a lot. Phillipa Gregory (although I prefer Susanna Gregory by miles!) has had some made into films. Twilight is very popular atm. Anything by Jodi Picault or Sarah Walters. Terry Pratchett is great, a really cheerful read! Anything from the Richard and Judy Book Club at the library

What was the book about a Gaisha? Something swan.

I have had a go but there are some huge gaps. These have stood out for me because they were either fantastic (TT Wife/Pratchett) or dire and depressing. I will be watching this thread for ideas!

hana Thu 30-Jul-09 17:58:54

I've just read a v sweet book called 'The Death and Life of Charlie McLeod.'

easy to read, not so heavy.
a few years old so won't be on any prominent shelves in bookstores!

janeite Thu 30-Jul-09 18:28:43

Okay - have you done 'the obvious' - ie P&P, Tess, W Heights, Handmaid's Tale, Jane Eyre, Rebecca?

I suppose you should add some Jeanette Winterson, Toni Morrisson and Maya Angelou to your list, although none of them excite me all that much!

Brideshead Revisited
The Historian
The Book Thief
A Handful Of Dust
Some Orwell
Lolita
The End Of The Affair

janeite Thu 30-Jul-09 18:29:22

Memoirs Of A Geisha
Have not read Wild Swans but dp rates it

janeite Thu 30-Jul-09 18:30:27

Paula by Isabel Allende

purpleduck Thu 30-Jul-09 18:32:14

Hana I read that a bit ago, and I LOVED it!! Keep looking for something else by the author, but can't seem to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now