Talk

Advanced search

Suzannah Dunn's "The Queen's sorrow" has anyone finished it as I am losing the will to live

(10 Posts)
flatcapandpearls Fri 24-Jul-09 00:41:21

Was given it by a pupil as they know I like historical fiction.

But it is not about Queen Mary at all, she is a figure who fascinates me so I am very dissapointed. I am about half way through and it is about a rather dopy sundial designer. Does it get any better? Should I give up. I hate giving up on books though, feels lazy.

positiveattitudeonly Fri 24-Jul-09 07:32:04

No, I have to admit it doesn't get better. I also hate not finishing books, but was so relieved when I closed it for the last time!
Like you, I got this book cos I love historical novels, but this was just hard going and drivel is the nicest word I can use to describe it!!
Sorry, not what you wanted to hear. I would give up now and get a good one. Do you like the Edward Rutherford books? Now they are really good meaty historical reads!! smile

flatcapandpearls Fri 24-Jul-09 11:28:54

I have almost finished it, shut myself in my room with some lovely raspberries and now only 30 pages left.. I think. I am enjoying it more but it is not what I thought it would be.

BadgersArse Fri 24-Jul-09 11:29:27

lol
i got no taker on mine either flatty!

flatcapandpearls Sun 26-Jul-09 00:06:24

I am going to bed in a moment to finish it.

LyraSilvertongue Sun 26-Jul-09 00:09:37

If you're hating it, give it up. Life's too short and there are millions of other books that you might actually enjoy.

TigerDrivesAgain Sun 26-Jul-09 00:09:38

it sounds such a rubbish title I wouldn't pick it up. Sorry, shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I do. If you don't like it, ditch it. Life's too short to read books you don't like! Taken me a long time to get this. Have perserved with rubbish too many times.

LyraSilvertongue Sun 26-Jul-09 00:10:41

Ok, 30 pages from the end I wouldn't give up on it.
<Must read more than OP before posting - slaps self on wrist>

flatcapandpearls Sun 26-Jul-09 00:13:17

It was given to me, it is a period of history that I enjoy and know about as my subject is RE. I did think it was going to give me insights or attempt to anyway, into the life of Queen Mary. She fascinates me because as a convent school girl I was taught a completly different version of this period of history than many of my friends.

I am almost finished, am enjoying it a little more, apparantly there is a twist. I think the leading female is involved in plots to overthrow the queen.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 03-Aug-09 13:25:11

I picked it up in the bookshop recently and when I say the fatal words 'through the eyes of (insert random peripheral character here)' I put it down again quick smart.
Glad to hear I was right not to waste my money.
OTOH, I am thoroughly enjoying Elizabeth Chadwick's medieval sagas atm, why not try one of them if you want a histfic fix?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now