Talk

Advanced search

Film adaptations of books, do you see "their" character or picture your own?

(3 Posts)
TwoIfBySea Mon 20-Jul-09 20:40:26

Following on from something Janeite said on the JA thread.

She mentioned Col. Brandon from Sense and Sensibility and I immediately pictured Alan Rickman (sorry but David Morrisey doesn't cut it.) Same as when I read the book.

So, indulge me here please

Do you see the actor or have you an image you made yourself of that character? Just being nosy curious.

TrillianAstra Mon 20-Jul-09 20:46:32

If I read the book first, I have a picture of the character of my own devising, which may or may not get overridden by the film's character Usually it will unless I disagree strongly with the film's interpretation.

If I watch the film first then when I read the book I can't help but think of the film character.

Antdamm Tue 21-Jul-09 00:53:32

i read da vinci code and seen someone who could have been tom hanks smile but for me, hhowever I imagined a totally different female character for the leading lady.
I sometimes cant watch a film where a character is completely different to how I imagined. Especially if its a book that I have been completely absorbed in. [stupid emoticon]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now