Talk

Advanced search

Have £50 amazon voucher, what do I buy?? Help !

(7 Posts)
Antdamm Mon 20-Jul-09 00:11:28

Exactly as title suggests, I was given a £50 voucher as a belated birthday gift from last weekend.

Now I need a bit of help. I usually always only read from the crime/thriller genre with a dip into sci-fi(??) through Dean Koontz and the occasional chick lit crap book when I want trash. I also read a lot of travel/humour type books like tony hawk and Bill Bryson

I thought i might use this money to step out of my comfort zone.[scared emoticon]. On the recommendations from the thread about books that took your breath away, I have ordered a copy of twilight, so i have sort of drifted slightly away from my usual.

So any books that you can recommend that I might read would be great. I know its a mammoth task, as you dont have a lot to go on, I will consider just about anything that isnt about war/history, mislit, I have a read a few of the classics but am not a massive fan.

Can anyone help, or should I just blow it on koontz, kellerman, gerritsen, slaughter and cornwell? grin

Molesworth Mon 20-Jul-09 00:19:16

ooh how lovely envy

I'd be tempted to spend it on one expensive thing rather than lots of cheaper things: something like a Le Creuset pan maybe, or one of the things that have been on my wish list for 827 years but the price refuses to come down grin

Antdamm Mon 20-Jul-09 00:26:51

no no no i must not be tempted by lovely pans that cost an arm and a leg.

Have promised DP I would spend it on something for me, and he said this doesnt include pans for cooking. smile

LaurieFairyCake Mon 20-Jul-09 00:29:29

Have you read any of the Sophie Hannah books (don't read the reviews as they reveal the twists) but I read lots of crime novels and these while aren't crime are kind of psychological thrillers.

Antdamm Mon 20-Jul-09 00:39:40

no Laurie I have not. Any suggestion as to which one i should put in my basket?

LaurieFairyCake Mon 20-Jul-09 00:45:04

I read "Little Face" first and really thought it was good and then went on to read the rest. She has a cold way of writing which doesn't appeal to everyone. "The Point of Rescue" is I think even better.

Both about £4 or weirdly 0.01p second hand on amazon.

How about a dvd? Have you seen Rebecca recently? the Olivier one? - I watched that the other day again and loved it all over again.

Antdamm Mon 20-Jul-09 01:27:50

ok have added little face to basket.

Am sticking to books. DP and I have a massive collection of dvds, we buy about 1 a week. So its just books books books. Reading is the one thing thats mine, DP never reads for fun, only for work. He hasnt read a book since high school shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now