Talk

Advanced search

Meaty but decent holiday read, please

(16 Posts)
ElusiveMoose Tue 14-Jul-09 13:11:10

I'm looking for ideas for something to take on holiday with me. I want something nice and long that I can get my teeth into, but also with a bit of literary quality. (Not TOO literary, though - please god don't suggest Ulysses!). I'm thinking along the lines of A Suitable Boy, Great Expectations, LOTR etc (if I hadn't already read them). Am toying with the idea of Gone with the Wind (anyone know if it's any good???), but I'd prefer something where I didn't already know the story.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Tue 14-Jul-09 14:07:04

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Book Thief
Fortune's Rocks
The Far Pavilions
Birdsong

midnightexpress Tue 14-Jul-09 14:12:51

Have you read Bleak House? My favourite Dickens. Or Nicholas Nickleby, which is v funny.

As an aside, did you know that Vikram Seth is writing a sequel to A Suitable Boy?

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Tue 14-Jul-09 14:14:37

austerlitz

RenagadeMum Tue 14-Jul-09 14:14:50

Gone with the wind is wonderful!! read it recently. The film is pretty faithful but the book is so much deeper.

How about 'The other Bolyn Girl'? Its not frothy but it is still a good romp.Everyone I have recommended it to loved it

midnightexpress Tue 14-Jul-09 14:15:53

Oh Austerlitz yyy. Wonderful wonderful book. GGood call cywywag.

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Tue 14-Jul-09 14:21:02

[preens]

what is the book called the something or other about a greek island, lots of twists adn turns.

i read it on holiday twas v. good

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Tue 14-Jul-09 14:21:58

the magnus!

Pyrocanthus Tue 14-Jul-09 14:28:06

John Fowles, The Magus?

Molesworth Wed 15-Jul-09 11:20:05

How about Charles Palliser's The Quincunx?

shouldweorshouldntwe Wed 15-Jul-09 11:30:22

test

ElusiveMoose Wed 15-Jul-09 12:03:13

Love these ideas, thanks. I'm a big fan of Indian-related stuff, so I fancy the idea of the Far Pavilions. Intrigued by Austerlitz, though it sounds a bit hard-going?? I've read some of the other suggestions, though another Dickens is a thought. MidnightExpress, I'm very excited about the sequel to A Suitable Boy; I love Vikram Seth.

FaintlyMacabre Wed 15-Jul-09 12:10:45

Middlemarch

The First Circle -Solzhenitsyn

A Robertson Davies trilogy?

I too am very excited about a sequel to A Suitable Boy- it would be my desert island book.

ElusiveMoose Wed 15-Jul-09 12:45:24

I've already read Middlemarch, and Solzhenitsyn doesn't sound quite indulgent enough for a holiday book (though I would like to read some sometime). Robertson Davies is a good thought, though. People I know are always raving about him, but I've never got round to trying him. Which trilogy would you recommend to start me off, FaintlyMacabre?

almama Wed 15-Jul-09 13:13:51

Alias Grace, Cat's Eye or the Blind Assassin (something Margaret Atwood)
The Poisonwood Bible
The Golden Notebook

I took 'The Crimson Petal and the White' on holiday a few years ago and couldn't put it down.

sfxmum Wed 15-Jul-09 13:23:33

for Roberston go for the Cornish trilogy
wide ranging and wickedly funny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now