Talk

Advanced search

Midnight Sun thread

(81 Posts)

So, I'm just going to repost my last bit from the breathless-thread:

-----------------------------------

Yes, finished Midnight Sun last night. I was so grateful that even though it's incomplete, it did contain the bit where Bella tells Edward she knows - that is my favourite chapter in the Twilight book, and I'd been wondering while reading it what Edward was thinking the whole time!

I really hope she does finish MS. There is so much more to Twilight that you can only get through Edward's side of things.

-----------------------------------

and hope that Sandy, Lyra and anyone else who's read Midnight Sun and wants to discuss it follow me here!!

I also want to say how hearing Edward's side of things made the depth of his feelings and the struggles he was going through so much more real.

In Twilight, I was with Bella on how annoying it was the way he kept basically saying "I love you, I want to be with you" and then "Keep away, we shouldn't be together" all the time.

But in MS, you could really understand what he was going through.

And I loved all the extra information about
the Cullens. They were much more rounded characters.

Sandy22 Tue 14-Jul-09 13:18:39

Hello Hope: In some ways I enjoyed Midnight Sun much more than Twilight and personally wouldn't mind reading the other books from Edwards pov. I really feel the SM got the whole book (well part) right - you understand Edward so much more and can see that he isn't as possesive and controlling as some people think he comes across. When I read Midnight Sun I felt is if I was actually there right beside them ..... I too loved all the extra insight you got in the rest of the Cullens especially the relationship between Alice & Edward - oh I could just go on and on and on smile I just really hope that she eventually finishes the book.

LyraSilvertongue Tue 14-Jul-09 13:47:25

One of the best bits for me was getting to hear everyone else's thoughts - Jessica was so bitchy, Mike much more resentful than I'd thought.
It all fit together so nicely, for example the bit in the cafeteria where they're all sitting in silence and staring it different directions, there was actually a lot going on in that scene that nobody else was aware of.
I think she should republish the two books together, with a chapter of Bella, then a chapter of Edward, and so forth.
Also, the beginning of Twilight gets a bit dull after you've read it once because it's just Bella and Charlie and not much happening. Whereas in Midnight Sun there's lots happening from the start.

You sort of need both books, don't you?

You are right about seeing that Edward isn't as possessive or controlling as he may come across in Twilight.

Were you surprised about Edward not being able to "hear" Charlie properly either? I haven't yet read Eclipse, so if anything related to that (ie Edward's not being able to read Bella's mind) is revealed in there, please DON'T TELL ME!
But MS really got me thinking a lot about what Bella is, because Edward is doubting that she is "just" human too.

I liked hearing more about the others in the school, too. It was very interesting how Mike - who I'd thought of as pretty much a good guy - came across MUCH worse here (though not surprising, seeing as he is Edward's most obvious rival (in this book, anyway)). And the Angela thing was nice too.

LyraSilvertongue Tue 14-Jul-09 13:53:58

I was surprised Edward couldn't hear Charlie that well, given that in Twilight he's always telling Bella 'Charlie's thinking this or that' or 'Charlie's on his way home' that sort of thing. Quite specific.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Tue 14-Jul-09 13:54:23

Guys - this is teen fiction, right? grin

LyraSilvertongue Tue 14-Jul-09 13:55:12

When will you read Eclipse? It's one of my favourites of the 5. New Moon was my least favourite as Edward is missing from most of the book.

LyraSilvertongue Tue 14-Jul-09 13:55:46

Doesn't mean it's not good.
Have you read the books?

The setting and the set-up is teen, very typically so, but the subject matter is universal - unless you'd also class Romeo and Juliet as teen fiction?

New Moon felt like the lull before the storm iykwim - I could see it needed to be got through, but I could feel there is more coming.
I thought that even though Edward wasn't actually present for most of the book, his presence never left because Bella was obviously never going to stop thinking about him. It made it really difficult to read - I was so upset, and kept feeling that I'd lost someone (probably should put a blush emoticon there, but can't be bothered - I'm among friends here )

I have to finish a book tonight that I am reading for my bookclub meeting tomorrow, so I will probably start Eclipse on Thursday or Friday. I'm quite glad to have an enforced break, actually, as I'm worrying that otherwise I will zip through it too fast and it will all be over.
There is a fourth one too, isn't here? Has anyone read it?

LyraSilvertongue Tue 14-Jul-09 14:09:08

Of course. Breaking Dawn. It's a whole different kettle of fish to the other three though.

LyraSilvertongue Tue 14-Jul-09 14:11:16

On the teen fiction thing, it was Stephenie Meyer's first book and she just wrote the story that was in her head (she explains all this on her website). She never set out to write 'a teen book'.
Obviously, with the characters being high school age, the publishers aimed it at the young adult market. But it was not written especially for teens at all.

Sandy22 Tue 14-Jul-09 17:13:31

Hi Lyra & Hope: Eclipse is definately my favourite of the books. Breaking Dawn was okay for me not great I thought, I loved Twilight and Midnight Sun and wasn't keen on New Moon purely because I just wanted to rush ahead in the book to be with Edward again ....... blush. I personally don't think it is a just teen book at all, for me it brings back all the memories of your first love, in fact I think my husband is quite glad I have read the books blush

LOL at Sandy's dh - should the book come with a warning: "Side-effects may include a sudden desire to act like a love-struck teenager again"

After what you've both said about Eclipse, I think I may leave it until Friday night when I can stay up as late as I like reading it, knowing dh can get up with ds and the dog in the morning!

I've been thinking so much about why these books have had such an impact on me: I've realised that although I read quite a bit, as I've got older I've tended to narrow the selection of types of books I read. When I was a poor, young student, I would buy any books that were a)cheap and b)looked interesting in any way whatsover. I also had more friends who read lots too, so we were constantly discovering great books and passing them on to each other.

I also think I'd got a bit sick of reading terribly grown-up books which didn't give me any escapism, it was all getting rather grim and serious, and then I kept seeing Twilight recommended here and thought I'd give it a go.

It's made me realise that I enjoy this kind of book, that reading doesn't have to be intellectual - though it should always be good. I have little patience for really trashy stuff, I want a book to hold my attention and make me think. But this has been the first book / series of books that has also really made me feel.

Sorry, I'm babbling on a bit randomly, I know!

Sandy22 Tue 14-Jul-09 19:28:04

I couldn't agree more - for me I must admit the Twilight book certainly woke me up out of my little rut that I had been sat in for a couple of years - my dh thinks I am having a mid life crisis but doesn't have any complaints grin in fact last night I'm sure he tried to nibble my neck blush as he assumes that is what Edward does in Twilight grin. In some ways and I know it may sound silly I think I have got a little closer to my dh ........

You do right to leave the Eclipse book until Friday when you can stay up late, I'm dying to know what you think of it.

I too have read many books over my yrs although not so many over the last 2/3 yrs - I can't believe it has taken books that my dd (aged 12) recommended to regain my love of books and got me reading again.

LyraSilvertongue Tue 14-Jul-09 19:29:26

That sums it up really - it makes you feel. Like you haven't felt for years, unless you've got a real-life Edward at home. grin

Am just adding a bit to this thread as I've been thinking a lot more about MS for the last couple of days - I wanted to start Eclipse last night, but ds was having none of it and refused to go to sleep. Didn't want to start reading really late and feeling frazzled, so have left it until tonight.

Anyway, about MS: did any of you also really get the feeling in this that Edward is so very not human, certainly at the beginning, before Bella? I'd never really thought about it much in Twilight, I'd sort of assumed that Vampire = Sort Of Human Who Drinks Blood and has Special Effects.
But the was he describes himself, you really get a sense of his otherness, of him being not human, and then, as he falls in love with Bella and she with him, and all those love-emotions come into play, he starts rediscovering his humanness again.
Hmm. Does any of that make sense?

Just wondered if anyone else thought that too.

Sandy22 Sun 19-Jul-09 17:18:48

Hi HopeForTheBest - I thought it was great how you found out a bit more about Edward and I thought the book made you fully understand how much he changed when he fell in love with Bella - I would also would like SM to write a book about The Cullens before Bella arrives in Forks.

Have you started Eclipse?

yappybluedog Sun 19-Jul-09 17:22:57

what is Midnight Sun? Is it a new book?

Sandy22 Sun 19-Jul-09 17:35:21

yappybluedog - it is part of the twilight saga (twilight, new moon, eclipse & breaking dawn). Midnight Sun is the 5th book Stephanie Meyer started but someone posted part of it on the internet so she decided not to finish it for now and has posted the first 12 chapters on her website.

yappybluedog Sun 19-Jul-09 17:42:10

oh I see - have read the others

a shame that it won't be finished, will go and read it now

Right, ds is in bed and hopefully falling asleep as I type, large vodka and tonic has been poured into glass, truffles are in fridge cooling and dh has been warned not to interrupt my reading on pain of death...I think I'm ready to start Eclipse!

Sandy22 Sun 19-Jul-09 19:05:10

HopeForTheBest - sounds like you are all set - enjoy and try not to finish the book in 1 night!!

Sorry for reviving v. old thread, but just wanted to update (specifically to Sandy and Lyra) that I am reading Eclipse really, really slowly and savouring every single moment and will come back and want to talk about it more when I've finished but OH MY GOD THE BIT IN THE TENT!!!!!!shock
Is it just me or was the sexual tension in that whole scene/chapter just unbearable?!

Have just got past that, the fight against the newborns is about to get going, so please don't tell me what happens next

Just wanted to "sign in", so to speak!

Sandy22 Mon 03-Aug-09 13:37:54

Hopeforthebest: Your back - I wondered what had happened to you. OMG Eclipse my favourite book and you also mention my favourite bit - the tent scene!!!!!!!!! I just can't wait to see how this comes across in the film and they must put this scene in! Please, please come back on when you have finished .....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now